1. ScHaLl

ScHaLl New Member

Massages?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ScHaLl, Feb 7, 2009.

So do any of you have some tips for giving a massage? Like some techniques that you learned or found out, something like that?

Also, can anyone recommend me a good massage oil? I've been told you could just use any vegetable oil as well, but the only oils we got here smell a lot like... food and I don't really want the massage I give to be accompanied with the smell of lunch. Also, a massage oil would just be... better. Scented oils would be good.

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I can't give any suggestions on massage technique, best thing is to google it.

But from my experience in the SCN and ICN when my son was born, it is infact olive oil, that you are able to use for that sort of thing, not vegetable oil. They used it on his skin to add moisture to it as he was under the purple light for jaundice for 2 weeks and it really dries out the skin. But you are best to use a massge oil and be careful with your choice as some can have bad side effects on certain skin types. I use baby oil or a special massage foam. But I only massage my children. So I'm not of any real help to you, sorry!

3. rory

rory Active Member

I'm afraid my only experience with massage has to do with equines. I took a six week course on basic massage therapy in school, but we practiced on each other before they let us practice on the horses. So I imagine it's all the same.

Some of the techniques we learned are Effleurage, Petrissage (including wringing, kneading, compressions, and skin rolling) and Tapotements (inculding clapping, cupping, hacking, beating, and pounding). There are more I'm sure, but those are the main ones I learned.

You'll probably get a good description of each with a search on the net, but if not, I can dig out my notes and try to explain.

4. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I'd recommend you stick to massage oil - it has a tendency to be lighter than most cooking oils and absorbed by the skin more readily, while still making it easier to massage. Failing that, I'd suggest a nicely scented moisturiser rather than a cooking oil.

You don't really need to have any major experience, just make sure you have a firm but gently motion, working the muscles - not bones :p - with ... pliable >? (for lack of a better word) fingers. (i.e. avoid pressing too hard and/or stiff fingers). Generally, if the person you're massaging isn't tensing their muscles as you work, you're doing allright. ;)

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Equine massage is so much easier than human massage if you ask me. I learnt how to do that when our horse was attacked by a dog with foal at foot. But the massage was great. I can also massage dogs as well. That is so much fun and they generally love it.

6. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Almond oil is an excellent base oil for massage. It's almost odourless so works well with any added essential oils. As for massage techniques, all I can say is always work with the heart in mind, directing pressured movements towards it. Also, 'giving' yourself to the act of massaging adds great benefit to the exercise.

7. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Mineral oil with a few drops of eucalyptus oil added is very rejuvenating and aids in mental clarity.

8. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

When somebody called "RomanticRose" responds in a thread called "Massage", I rush in expecting to learn secrets about sensuality and how to stimulate one's...uhhhh...personal life. Instead, I read "mineral oil and eucalyptus drops." What a disappointment! LOL

9. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

So sorry to disappoint, darlin. I'm just a freelance writer that writes historical bodice-rippers (yes, the ones with garish cover pictures of guys with rippling muscles, puffy shirts and long, wind-blown hair clutching a swooning maiden with creamy, heaving breasts) under an alias. Not to say, I don't have some tips, but I generally save those for my, um, fetish erotica that is published under another alias.

10. rory

rory Active Member

True that. Animals can't lie, so you know right away if your helping or hurting. With people it's a lot harder. Sure you can ask, but sometimes people don't understand their own bodies very well.
    And it's always nice when the horses are so happy they try to massage you right back! I don't see people doing that too much. :p

11. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Depending if your doing Swedish (soft) or Remedial (more full on) be sure to always massage up the limb/body and never down (so your going with bloodflow)

I always used Aloe Vera oils for massage

Absolutly. Mind you, find a really sore spot on a person (a good knot), and if you know what your doing, you'll see/feel them as they feel a really painful part

I tried learning to do remedial blind folded (though only for a few weeks), good way to find those hard to find knots!

12. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

If massaging hands or feet pull slowly down the toes or fingers. The warmth of your hands on those extremeties plus the added blood flow feels amazing.

In any massage-Don't be afraid to use all parts of your hands -like the side of your hands, the heel of your hand, knuckles (even an elbow if you dare)
    Just go slow and steady.

Also a great way to switch things up is massage something random like a knee or a lower arm?

have fun!