1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Publishers and novel discussion here

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by OurJud, Aug 4, 2015.

Just a quickie.

I have a vague memory of reading something about publishers refusing to accept work that has been discussed at length on open forums / social media, etc.

Put simply, I have posted a rough draft of the first chapter from my WiP on this forum, and discussed its plot at some length

Would I have to declare this to a publisher, and if so would it affect my chances of them accepting it?

2. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

You can't see the workshop entries without a login. Not sure if google indexes them either.

No idea on the publishing angle.

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I did find another thread on a similar subject, but they were asking about publishing entire short stories online, and whether that would harm their chances.

I'm talking specifically about posting part of a chapter for critique (that's going to get revised anyway) and discussing the novel's plot.

I sense I may have shot myself in the foot, here, as anyone who does get published and comes here to report it, always stress that they can't discuss the title or plot until it's released.

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

No, posting a draft of one chapter of a novel isn't going to be a problem. Discussing the plot shouldn't be either.

OurJud and Aaron DC like this.