1. Divine Walker

Divine Walker New Member

Publishing and marketing Cost

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Divine Walker, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:38 AM.

What are the total estimation cost of publishing a book from manuscript until it's being marketed ?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Are you asking what a traditional publisher spends, or what you would spend if you decide to self-publish it?

Either way, I'm sure it's going to be a bunch of "it depends", but for clarity...

3. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

that's really how long is a piece of string ... if you are self publishing you could do it for nothing up to the marketing point (not something i'd recommend as it means not using an editor and doing your own covers) but its possible.

If you chose to use paid editing and cover designers its still question of who use and what you want - my editor charges £9.50 per 1000 words , but some charge more some charge less (that's for a structural edit - not proof reading)

Cover design is another variable - ball park seems to be about £3-400 but you could pay less or more.

Then with marketting - facebook ads, amazon ads etc all go for different prices (and that depends on whether you are doing paid advertising at all) and so on

In short its not a question that we can answer with any degree of accuracy

ETA : actual publishing for a self/indie publisher ought to be free at point of operation but you lose a slice of your royalties - amazon take 30% if you are between $2.99 and $9.99 , outside of that bracket they take 65%.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 2:23 PM
  4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't agree that this is "ought to" in anything like the same way that it "ought to" be free for traditional publishing. If someone decides to publish on actual paper--for example, my understanding is that it's extraordinarily difficult to sell a picture book without publishing it on paper--it's likely to quite legitimately cost plenty. That doesn't mean that every printer is legitimate, but it's not the same "If it costs you anything it's a scam" deal that it is for traditional publishing.