1. wilderlore

wilderlore New Member

Publishers? Agents?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by wilderlore, Dec 20, 2012.

I'm completely new to this, i've written the start to a couple of chapters for a nonfiction book but some websites say don't start writing, write a proposal for an agent before you start writing. I'm unsure as to what to do? Is this advice considered good advice? Or does it depend upon the book? My book is going to be about bushcraft and survival skills.

Ste

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I've heard this advice and it is, I'm sure, sound advice for a semi/confidant writer, but for someone new to writing I would think it more important to spend sometime honing their writing skills and developing a voice before approaching agents.

You could write your book and then if you are unable to get an agent; you could self-publish it, which for a non-fiction with a niche market may be a worthwhile option.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

This is typically what happens with a nonfiction book, especially one that involves a lot of research. Often, the author needs to devote significant time to the research, as well as the writing, so the author needs to know that s/he will be able to sell the book and get some sort of payment. A query would highlight the author's expertise in this area, showing why he is the right person to write that book.

That said, if this is a subject in which you already have expertise or it is something that you really want to do as a labor of love, or you are having no success in attracting the interest of agents or publishers, you could, as Trilby pointed out, write it with an eye toward self-publishing, either as your Plan A, or trying to go traditional, and indicating that you have the m/s already written, seeking representation that way. Although it's not the typical non-fiction query, I don't see how it would hurt to indicate you have the m/s finished, as that would take away one of the risks of non-fiction works, which is that the author is unable to complete it. Then if you are not successful, you could self-publish as a Plan B.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...not really, since a proposal must include full sample chapters [usually 2-3]...

...this applies to all books like yours... you need to google for 'how to write a book proposal'...

...in addition, some publishers do accept queries and proposals from unagented authors, so you don't have to restrict your querying to agents alone... if your query/proposal interests a publisher, agents may take your book more seriously... and v/v...

good luck!

love and hugs, maia

5. wilderlore

wilderlore New Member

Very helpful, thank you :)

6. domenic.p

domenic.p Banned

moved

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but i have to disagree with some of your advice, domenic: