Tags:
  1. Killer300

Killer300 Senior Member

Poetry that Made you Cry

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by Killer300, Aug 25, 2011.

Okay, there is a thread about writing that makes you cry, but I think this one deserves special attention. After all, much of poetry is primarily about expressing an emotion, abandoning normal prose to do so. So, have you ever been moved to tears by a poem?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

Buddy Wakefield's 'Hurling crowbirds at mockingbars' and Sarah Kay's 'B'. They're both on youtube.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

This one didn't make me cry, but T.S. Eliot's "The Hollow Men" haunted me for a while and really made me think and want to analyze the hell of it. It was certainly powerful and impactful. I actually wrote a long analytical essay about it for a term paper.

4. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

Sounds stupid but every time I hear Jimmy Stewart read his poem Beau, I start to cry. Makes it worse that we had a dog name bowe that just died a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUNJjIwlHk8

5. pinelopikappa

pinelopikappa New Member

My own. It's that bad!

Other than that it is some of Shakespeare pieces, so beautiful they are unreal.

6. jpeter03

jpeter03 Member

It may have been the specific time at which I read it that affected me so much, but there's a poem called The Reason Why the Closet-Man is Never Sad by Russell Edson that really shook me. He's one of our strangest poets but just amazing.

7. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

A couple of Robinson Jeffers's poems have made me cry, even though they're not supposed to. His "Night" and "Hurt Hawks" tend to get me. Especially "Night". That's a beautiful poem and nobody these days ever reads it. I've memorized it and I recite it to myself sometimes as I'm falling asleep at night. It leads me to peace.

More recently, I came across a poem by Rodney Jones called "Channel" that got to me. I've started looking for more of his poetry.

8. chatterbox

chatterbox Member

other than my own about a deceased pet of mine which also had my mum in tears no poetry has made me cry