Publishing Short Stories and Creative Non-Fiction in Literary Magazines

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Anthony Martin, Apr 18, 2013.

1. graphospasm

graphospasm Member

I'm currently running the lit mag route, too!

I've compiled a few rather sizable lists of mags (separate lists for poetry, nonfiction, fiction, and experimental efforts) to serve as a personal database of well-researched journals. Researching the market is definitely a good thing. I've ordered cheap back-issues of the places I'm interested in pursuing so I know what kinds of mags best fit my story. I don't tailor my story for a specific journal, of course. I've found that having a nicely researched pool of journals helps expedite the process of sending off your story when the time comes and that rejections aren't as frequent if your target journals make a habit of publishing stories with styles and themes similar to your own.

Also knowing ahead of time if they do electronic subs, subs by mail, or subs by pigeon carrier is helpful. Those pigeons need prior notice if they're to be sent on a delicate mission. :p The lists also help me keep track of submission periods and whether or not a publication accepts simultaneous submissions, not to mention what/where/when I've submitted.

Can you tell that getting organized makes me feel more productive than I probably am? Lol.