1. ULTRAMAN

ULTRAMAN New Member

publishing your works in comic form

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by ULTRAMAN, Mar 9, 2009.

hi everyone

this is my first post here and i'm starting with a question if you guys don't mind

if given the chance, how willing are you to allow your works to be adapted into comic/manga form and be distributed for free online?

if yes, what will be your concerns?

*i personally write superhero fan fiction so it suits the comic form very well... but i'm not sure how others think...

thanks and cheers

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all of my work is already free to all who want it, either online from my website, or in book form [i have the book-collections of my essays and 'philosetry' printed and give them away], so the second part of your question is moot... as to the first, i doubt my writings would lend themselves to graphic adaptation...

as for those who write fiction, i can't see why they'd want to give away work they most likely wrote to sell... i'll be interested in seeing if i'm wrong on that, when you get more replies to this...

3. Kursal

Kursal New Member

My personal feeling is, where is the income going? I work on the internet day in, day out. I know that you can monetize a website whilst still providing a free service to the sites patrons. If I were to put forward any work, it would be with the proviso that I get some share in any money made as a direct result of said work.

If I was writing fan-fic, that would be different but I'm not. I am also someone who likes to keep up the quality on work that I do. I would want to make sure I was happy with whoever was illustrating the work and the style they were using.

Finally, I suppose, there would be the subject of copyright. The website would, I assume, want some form of exclusivity contract, or worldwide distribution contract in place before displaying the work. Where would that leave me with what I can do with the work subsequently?

They're all questions that need answering before I could consider writing for a web-comic.