1. littleparisdress

littleparisdress New Member

Is there no end to my search?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by littleparisdress, Apr 10, 2009.

Hi:eek:

I've been looking all over for publishers who accept unsolicited manuscripts and when i eventually found one the next week they had a message saying:
    'We are accepting too many submissions. We no longer accept unsolicited manuscripts'.

Is there any publisher anyone knows who publishes unsolicited manuscripts for childrens and adults novels?

Thankyou for your help!!!:redface:

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

My main area of focus is Fantasy and Science Fiction, so I guess it depends on the genre, if any for the adult fiction. There are a few for SF/Fantasy and even Romance that I know of that accept unsolicited submissions. Smaller publishers are more likely to accept unsolicited than the major ones.

Children's fiction, I am not sure of.

try this page on my website: ervin-author.com Markets Page. It lists over a dozen search sites that you could start. Duotrope would probably be the best one to start with.

There is always the option of attempting to find an agent to represent your work.

Good luck.

Terry

3. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

nows the time to make your manuscript solicited.

4. littleparisdress

littleparisdress New Member

Thanx for the help.

5. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

If you can't find publishers that will take work like yours directly from the author, why not start sending them to agents?

You could also send them just a query letter with out the manuscript. You probably won't get anything out of doing that, but it's worth a shot.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry to say, most agents won't bother with a single children's book by a new, unknown writer... there's just not enough money in it to justify their expense in getting a publisher for it...

however, even if the publishers won't accept unsolicited mss, that doesn't mean they won't read a query... so, write a killer query and see if that'll get your ms to be 'solicited'...

if you have been searching for publishers helter-skelter, try here, where it's easier:
    www.duotrope.com

7. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

Also, while most Canadian publishers either prefer to work with writers living in Canada, or say that they accept Canadian writers, many will take work directly from the author, especially the ones that do children's books.

8. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Finding a publisher can be a pain, and draining. There are quite a few out there that publish unsolicited work though. Like maia said, try www.duotrope.com it really is one of the best market listings you will find. Good luck with your hunt!