Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jannert, Sep 20, 2017.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

He must have a way of charging his devices - but he can probably only do it sometimes (chances are the DOJ has power by now)

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    He works from home though

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

He do , but I'd suspect he goes in there some times. Either that or hes got a generator or similar but only limited opportunity to use it .... you can get solar chargers for phones, but they only work well when its sunny

He must have access so some recharging facility as his devices would all be flat as a pancake by now otherwise

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  4. big soft moose

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

He's said that he can't work at the moment. And I guess that work isn't really a priority (or even really that feasible, given the state of the island).

I'm not sure how he has charged his stuff so far (maybe solar cells, or just a big storage of batteries?), but a generator is on its way and it will hopefully reach him without too many delays and other problems.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Will he be able to get fuel for it?

A situation like this really seems like it needs a large-scale response... if the infrastructure isn't there, it's hard to make all the little pieces fit together.

7. big soft moose

Do we know if hes in Caguas or at his house out west ?

8. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Hopefully. Unfortunately I don't really have any details.

I'm not sure. Maybe @KaTrian or @minstrel are more well-informed on that matter?

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I just got a message from him a couple of minutes ago saying he was at his house in Moca. He was just visiting his aunt at her house and her house has signal, but he was about to go home. I guess we won't hear from him for at least the rest of the day.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  10. big soft moose

According to google PR has fuel being delivered bur the problem is distributing it as garages are without power to run their pumps - currently they pretty much have to go in to San Juan to get any

11. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    He's got a solar cell phone charger on the way too, it's been sitting in a shipping container at the airport in San Juan for two weeks on a second day air delivery. UPS sucks.

12. BayView

Well, in this situation, I do kind of hope they're prioritizing emergency supplies for poor people over cell phone charges for fairly well-off people. I'm not saying it wouldn't suck to be out of communication with your friends and family, but I'm pretty sure there are people on the island with bigger worries, and since we're hearing that the ports are a bottleneck area...

13. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    True, but the shipping container hadn't yet been opened as of Monday. The thing could be full of LifeStraws and penicillin for all they know.

14. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Things are normalizing there little by little. No more huge lines to get gas and power is being steadily restored, hopefully soon in his region as well. :)

Anyway, if you guys want to help his neighborhood (rural and devastated by the hurricane), the link is in the description. :bigwink:

15. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just got word, two weeks after the promised delivery date, UPS has thrown up its hands and said that delivery is impossible. M will be getting a refund, and we'll be contributing to this Puerto Rico relief fund instead.

Very, very disappointed with both Amazon and UPS, this saga has taken nearly a month to hit its sorry conclusion.

16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
  17. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Arrrgh!
    Here's a thought: with all Amazon's resources and experience in logistics, why aren't they assisting with the relief efforts? Or am I missing something? ETA: Are they and I'm just misinformed?

18. BayView

I think Amazon's systems are based on the existence of a functioning infrastructure. They don't have experience building ports or airports or whatever.

And, honestly, why would we be looking at a for-profit company to donate relief efforts? That's the government's job, surely? Do we really want to set up a world where corporations take even MORE power over our lives? Where the hell is the US government?!?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Amazon is logistics to the loading dock, after that it's up to the carrier.

BayView likes this.
  20. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Not all corporations ignore corporate social responsibility.

Elon Musk's Tesla Powerwalls Have Landed in Puerto Rico

Amazon initially sent a cargo planeload of supplies to PR.

Apparently they aren't involved in the delivery companies like UPS that are on the island. Seems shortsighted of them not to look into those services before taking orders to ship to PR.

Shenanigator and Iain Aschendale like this.
  21. big soft moose

not long before the hurricane Wrey told me that deliveries to Pr form the mainland were an arse anyway... I was asking him to order me a coffee machine part which US sellers don't export to the UK, but it turned out they don't export to PR either

22. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

One reason I chose DHL was because I knew they were providing logistics support for the hurricane relief groups in the San Juan airport, so I figured if they're basically running the airport, my shipment should get there too. Turned out, getting the parcel to the island wasn't the problem. They couldn't get it to Moca from San Juan (address problem or some such). :( Luckily Wrey managed to pick it up from the distribution center.

Anyway, heard from Wrey again today. Things are looking up, little by little, but still far from normal. While he and his family weren't hit as hard as some others, it's still really scary that ordinary routines like going to work or watching Netflix have gone out the window, and they're still living in the day-to-day survival mode. :(

Shenanigator and Catrin Lewis like this.
  23. big soft moose

Good to hear hes still doing okay.... but yeah its worrying to think this kind of thing could get a lot more common - you have to wonder how well somewhere like Britain would cope... on one hand we're richer than P/R but on the other hand we're less prepared and vastly more populated.

I suspect the rural areas would get back on their feet pretty quick ... we've mostly got pick ups, and tractors, chainsaws and generators , bore holes and solar and could cope off grid for a goodly while but the cities would be a disaster area

24. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

The government is worse, since they have no incentive to do a good job. They can sit on their bureaucratic arses and wallow in the red tape.

If DHL is doing a better job getting deliveries to Puerto Rico than UPS, then next time I have a package to ship I'm going with DHL.

KaTrian and Fernando.C like this.
  25. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I completely agree with you in theory, but since the US government isn't doing anything and the people need help, I figured Amazon would be the one company that would have the resources to get something done. They've done innovative things with logistics within the company, so I thought it could be expanded externally.

Waterborne illnesses are starting to show up in PR from lack of clean water FFS. So, someone needs to step in. I would prefer it to be the government, but it won't be, unless Trump can personally make money off of it.