1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Reading and writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OurJud, Nov 7, 2017.

Curious to hear if others find that when they're not writing (because the desire has deserted them) they also lose interest in reading too.

Up until about three weeks ago I was reading, and thoroughly enjoying, Margeret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, but then the desire to write left me and I haven't picked up her book since. And this is not a first - happens every time.

2. Poetical Gore

Poetical Gore Member

Well, that is a horrible book (I read it).
    My advice (which I actually follow) is to write every day. Even if it is writing one sentence or maybe fixing an existing sentence. Every day write...period. Read your stuff out loud. I found out reading my stuff out loud when fixing it is a big help.

Now, if you are not writing because you are at a boring part of your book, well, change it. Add something that makes it interesting or things going on in the background that are interesting.

3. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Well, this thread wasn't intended as a request to help me get back to writing, but since you brought it up I'll just make it clear this doesn't work for me. Forcing myself to write has a negative and damaging effect on any creativity that might still be lurking somewhere in the deepest recesses of my mind.

The whole 'not writing' thing goes through three stages: Loss of interest, followed by a complete halt, and finally a deep hatred of creative writing in general.

And thanks! Because, maybe inadvertently, you've just helped me see why I lose interest in reading too.

4. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

No. To me, they're not related in that sense. I may even stop writing but I'll never stop reading. It's an addiction I got in childhood. :p

5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

No, I don't stop reading, but what I read dramatically changes.

When I'm being creative, I tend to read new things or reread things that I read a long time ago. When I'm not feeling creative, I reread stories that I've already read a thousand times. Some people like to wind down by getting stoned and watching the same episode of The Simpsons they've seen so many times they can lipsync it. I get the same cathartic nostalgia cracking open Jaws or Flatland.

6. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I read a lot when I am not writing. Right now I am reading a bunch of Ray Bradbury's short stories. They are wonderful and amazing and inspirational.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

That sounds like a stupendous idea!

Laurus likes this.