1. majidkh

majidkh New Member

pull in vs pull over

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by majidkh, Jun 24, 2009.

Hello

Could someone tell me the differences between "pull in" and "pull over" and "pull off the road"?
    Also which one of "pull in" and "pull over"can best fit in the following sentences?

- I .....,unable to stop myself from going to sleep.
    - Hearing noises from the engine,he ..... to see what's wrong with it.
    - The car ..... when the ambulance approached at high speed.
    - A car came at high speed behind me and flashed me to .....

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Pull over will be the expression you're wanting here. That one signfies the vehicle will be coming to a stop. Pulling in, in your example, does not necessary indicate that the vehicle is required to stop, rather move out of the way, or make room for another vehicle. Unless you meant pullover. That's a sweater.

3. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

I agree what Gannon says for these sentences, at least out of context. But let me give you some examples of variations on the theme (in the interest of pointing out that the answer to your question depends upon what YOU intend).

I suddenly saw a sign that said, "Rest Stop Ahead." I pulled in, unable to stop myself from going to sleep.

or (alternatively) ...

The sign read "42 Miles to the Next Exit." The highway suddenly broadened to a point where I pulled off the road, unable to stop myself from going to sleep.

or (alternatively) ...

Although there was barely room on the side of the road, I pulled over, unable to stop myself from going to sleep.

So, the issue (with all of them) is whether you mean that you are pulling IN to some place that can be identified as being pull-INTO-able or simply pulled OVER onto the side of the road, or you want to indicate that you pulled completely OFF the road, or whatever. It's your call, Mr. Writer.

You have to conjure up your specifics in order to decide what word has the precise meaning you need.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good examples/advice from mm... pretty much what i would have said, had i gotten here first...

5. majidkh

majidkh New Member

Thank you ManhattanMss and Gannon for your helpful comments .