1. Khuz360

Khuz360 New Member

Is underpass a suitable word

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Khuz360, Oct 17, 2010.

Hey everybody is the word underpass a suitable word to describe pathway that leads to more buildings. Its hard to describe what im talking about so I will do a diagram. A and B are buildings and the pathway leads to more buildings. Is the word underpass good enough to describe the pathway. I do apologise for my inability to articulate this.

|....|^^^^^^^|....|
    |....|========.|....|
    |.A.|....Rooms...|.B. |
    |....|========.|....|
    |....|.Pathway...|....|

Thanks in advance

Khuz

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It is a legitimate use of the word. I don't know if I would consider it the best choice, but it works.

3. Khuz360

Khuz360 New Member

Those are actually my thoughts exactly Cogito but I seem to have run into writers block trying find a more suitable word...

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Underpass to me suggests under a road. because it's going under a thing that people pass through.

*heads to the online thesaurus*

Undercut sounds like a good choice. :)

5. Ruth Jacobs

Ruth Jacobs New Member

Underground passageway (I couldn't tell from the diagram if it was underground for sure). If ground floor you could use walk-through and I think areaway might work in either instance.

6. Cogito

I would go with passageway, hall, or corridor, and if necessary, indicate that it passes under the room in question in narrative.

Underpass has more of a connotation of a thoroughfare than an enclosed walkway. It isn't really a restriction of the definition, but the image the word conjures up is just slightly off.

7. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with Cog. The word underpass brings to mind an open area like a street that passes under an elevated highway. It may not be a technical part of the definition, but that's the image that comes to mind. As Cog has proffered, simply use passage, passageway, corridor, or something else and then extend the description to indicate its position or place. Those words, without a doubt, bring to mind an enclosed space.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Tunnel? Probably not, but it hasn't been suggested yet. That's what I'd call it in casual use, if I hung around those buildings.

9. Cogito

The basement passageways connecting the various buildings of MIT are usually referred to as tunnels. However, they are not really a single passage, and in some cases you have to cut through a basement lab or storeroom. It may not even be possible to traverse the campus through the tunnels these days.

10. Khuz360

Khuz360 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. The reason I did not use underpass was because I thought of a road when I thought of it as well lol. It actually wasnt supposed to be underground I do apologise for the lack of clarity.

I like all the suggestions however I think I will go with walk-through as it would be the most suitable because it's an outdoor location.

Thanks everyone

Khuz

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

is the walker actually walking under something [rooms suspended between the a/b buildings?]... if so, 'underpass' is perfectly good to use there... if not, it isn't...

12. Khuz360

Khuz360 New Member

I appreciate your thoughts mammamaia and people would be walking under rooms which bridged the two blocks however for me the word underpass doesnt instill the correct visualisation in my mind.

Thanks for your input :)

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

then why be so nit-picky in the text?... if nothing happens in the action to necessitate telling us that there are rooms over part of the path, just call it a path and get it over with...

14. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I agree with this. That's everything I was going to say.