Tags:
  1. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

Need Romantic Poetry Advice- Hold the Cheese

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by PurpleCandle, Dec 21, 2010.

We don't have a lot of money for holiday presents this year so I want to right a poem for my husband as a present. A few months ago I wrote a personal essay about him and he seemed really touched.

My problem is that I kind of hate writing romance. In high school I wrote romantic poems for cash. The kind of stuff that I could insert names and a boy would give it to his girlfriend on V-day. But, ever since then I have refused to write that kind of stuff because it feels cheesy.

I can write erotica or something touching, but a whole romantic poem...eww. I would just rather write about a quirky topic, a topic that has not been done to death.

So, I am sitting here trying to work on it...and I keep getting stuff like, "Roses are red, Violets are Blue". I have been at this for 2 hours, and usually by now I have written what I want.

Another problem I have is that if I write something that is too deep or is kind of abstract my husband will not get it. I love him, but he will not get it.

Anybody have any advice? Or perhaps know of some romantic poetry that is not overly cheesy so I can get my mind in the game?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Why not pick something quirky that you love doing together or he likes doing.

3. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

Then I am back to writing erotica :)

We have 3 kids and he works more than 12 hours a day, we do not have time for a lot of activity..I'll have to ponder this angle.

4. Elgaisma

lol I understand that one do you have a TV show you watch together when you flop or something you would like to do if you didn't have 3 kids. I would love to do a dance class or something with my other half - reckon I have another 10 years or so to go :)

Or how did you meet ?

5. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

We watch a lot of crime drama....and (shamefully) some reality TV shows.

I don't know how that will help me though.

I want this to poem to make him feel appreciated. He has been working way too hard lately.

After I know what I am going to write, I am going to tea stain some paper and burn the edges to make the paper look like papyrus. Then roll it up a seal it in a wine bottle.

6. Elgaisma

ok do you know the Beatles Song when I am 64? maybe something like that - or something physical about him you find physically attractive maybe write a poem to his eyes, nose, legs, bum etc Or take an event something he has done for you this year and make it about that.

Or use your TV shows and how nice it is to just sit with him and watch TV.

7. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Embrace the cheese! ;)

IMHO, you are creating block by worrying too much about being an artist. I'm at that same point right now with a short story that is turning out more like a cheap after-school special. After a couple weeks of saying "that's so stupid, I don't wanna", I've finally told myself "oh, just finish it and try to have a little fun doing so".

So, go ahead and write a sappy, gloopy romantic poem and consider it an ironic (and heartfelt) gift. If anything, it may wake your muse to something more.

Another suggestion would be to get away from poetry and fiction, and write an essay. Pour out your heart - WHY do you love him and your family. A thousand or so words of that, well written, will absolutely melt his heart.

-Frank

8. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

LOL...embrace the cheese!!

I don't want to write another essay because I just wrote one a few months ago. It made him tear up a little.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm a full time poet, i mentor many aspiring ones, and i'd also written a lot of poems to/for my late/ex-husband in the bad good old days, so email me if you want help with this...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com