1. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Punkyeleven's Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by punkyeleven, Aug 30, 2019.

I wasn't sure if I should start progress journal since it's quite a new idea for me, but I thought, why not give it a try? So let's go.

The novel I'm working on is a young adult story about a boy who can change into a wolf. Currently I finished my first "offical" draft (I had one before but only on paper and I rewritten it on the computer so it doesn't count for me). The story has 20 chapters. I intend to print everything out and read it and see what needs to change (and I already know it's a lot!). Reading it on paper helps me to see it from a different perspective.

I finished writing it a month ago, but left it so it would cool off and I could work on it without this "I hate looking at it again" thing.

I intend to finish it till the end of September just in time for my sister's birthday. What I want to give her won't be the last draft of course, but much more polished than the one I have now. I'm really hoping she would tell me what to change etc.

Right now, I want to get rid of some innacurances like names of the places that changed throughout writing, some facts I forgot to mention. Then I'll print it and get my highlighter pen and get to the least enjoyable part of the writing! So, rewriting.

I'll update this thread as soon as I print it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Yesterday: changed dialogue a bit in chapter 19 and put one scene in chapter 2. I'm quite happy with the results.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Two days ago: I've rewritten chapter 17. Still need to change some bits in 18 chapter and delete some scenes in chapter 14. I've also noticed that there are some plot holes in my mystery in a story: I need more leads for the characters to find.

4. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Oh and humor.
    I need it desperately. I usually write stories with sarcastic humor, but with this one I focused so much on the plot and my schedule that it's missing some jokes and fooling around. Note to myself: work on that!

5. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Stubborn Finnsperger Contributor

This might give something worth thinking to that need.

Catrin Lewis and punkyeleven like this.
  6. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Rewritten chapter 18 and 19. Changed some things in chapter 14. Now it's ready to print so I can see allll the mistakes haha.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  7. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Printed everything out! It's pretty exciting to see it on paper, even though it's just a draft :)

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  8. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Started rereading everything and making notes when I realised that I have almost zero subplots. Probably why the whole story seems shallow! I focused so much on the main mystery that the characters basically learn everything first hand, like they go somewhere and there the clue waits for them to be discovered. Not good at all. I'd prefer for them to collect clues in a more of "something from subplot that seems random make them find another clue" way. But now I have the problem with thinking of what subplots I want to put there and I don't want to overdo it since I have a lot of pages already. Guess I need to change my outline as well and see what I come up with!

Catrin Lewis and Alan Aspie like this.
  9. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Still marking all the mistakes and sentences I want to change/get rid of. Only three chapters and I'll be done with this part!

10. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Finished marking! I was quite angry at my story and had this big author's block which is mainly me thinking "this story sucks so much!!", but then on Sunday I somehow came up with this new idea that explains everything in the main plot and can be also used as a subplot. I don't know why I haven't thought about this before! Now I'm going to do an actual rewriting and maybe don't end up hating everything again until I finish this draft!

11. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Starting rewriting chapter 9 because it's the one that I want to change the most. Changed one, very important scene.

12. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Came back from the holidays and back to work. Have been working on chapter 6 today and half of chapter 7. Feeling all the excitement again, but man, it's still needs a lot of work and changes. But at least I know what to change now!

marshipan likes this.
  13. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Finished rewriting chapter 7.

marshipan likes this.
  14. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Finished chapter 1 and part of chapter 9

marshipan likes this.
  15. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Still rewriting chapter 11 - it's a lot of work and I feel like it sucks, but doesn't all writers feel this way? I guess.

marshipan likes this.
  16. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Changed chapter two and three

marshipan likes this.
  17. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Chapter 4 rewritten.

marshipan likes this.
  18. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Finished rewritting chapter 8!

marshipan likes this.
  19. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Haven't updated here, but been doing some work. Only 6 chapters now to rewrite. I'm not perfectly happy about the whole book, but I'm happy that I'm finishing it. I think it's important to finish the first book, no matter how bad it would be!

marshipan likes this.
  20. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Finished rewriting a few days, now I'm just gonna look at it one last time as a whole. I may add illustrations of my own as well

marshipan likes this.
  21. punkyeleven

punkyeleven Member

Done. I took me a year, but I'm very happy because it's my first book. I'll keep this thread for other of my projects as well.

marshipan likes this.
  22. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Congratulations, that's big!