1. NewBee

NewBee New Member

Jealousy issues anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NewBee, Apr 8, 2010.

So... here's the thing. I'm working on a novel based on actual events.

My now husband, spent a lot of time in and out of jail, all related to his issues with alcohol. (I must add he's been sober for more than 3.5 years, and I love him to bits). The last time he was in jail however... was because he took my car, without my permission, while he was drunk, and was involved in a head on collision and fled the scene.

So this story I'm working on... I'm sort of dreaming of all the things I COULD have done rather than stay with him, while following his story of learning to live without alcohol, and the POV of the people in the other car. One of the things I chose to do in this FICTIONAL world, is date another man. (As I believe a little romance in every book is good :) )

I'm having an amazing time with this piece, as I can so closely relate.

I haven't told him even this story is based on the accident... he just read over a quick love scene I left on the screen.

I'm sensing a little jealousy from my husband now... like small references to my 'slutty mind'

How do I explain my way out of this? And, am I wrong?

Feel free to be blunt!!!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It sounds like he still hasn't faced all the consequences of his choices. Otherwise, why would he feel threatened?

Maybe you should just smile mysteriously and say, "Wouldn't you like to know."

3. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth Contributor Contributor

Just don't end the story with the woman and her new lover killing the alcoholic ex. He may get suspicious.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I have to wonder, given the background you have already mentioned, if perhaps he is silently concerned with the fact that maybe the story paints an unflattering story about him, and maybe he is redirecting his "concern" in a different fashion?

5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Please understand that I'm neutral here.

He may really need your help and you're writing a story about you falling for another man. In his mind, you're telling him "I wish you were a different man! I wish you in particular weren't married to me! You're a disappointment to me! I dislike you!"

I don't know the situation, but that's what I'm thinking/

If I were you, I'd explain to him that you still love him and revise the story plot so it's not 100% like you and him and your story husband. Otherwise, he'll turn to alcohol again for comfort.

I'm not trying to crap on your ideas, Cheryl, I'm just saying that in his mind, he may interpret this a bit differently from you.

6. NewBee

NewBee New Member

I totally understand how he could feel... but he doesn't know at this point that the story is based on us. He doesn't know about the alcohol or the car accident... he's just freaking out he saw a little love scene written on the screen.

Has anybody else had to justify ANY romantic scene in their story to their spouse? Whether its about them or not?

7. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Ah, now I understand.

In that case, yeah, that's a bit of an overreaction on his part. :/ Not every love scenes means the writer in question is cheating on his/her spouse. If he's like this over a little love scene, I'd hate to read on how he reacts if he reads about a MURDER SCENE!

8. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think you should have to justify writing a romantic scene to your husband...God knows, if Joel said anything to me about my "slutty mind," he would be in trouble...it's not like you're writing a scene about a fantasy you're having with another man or reminiscing on a time that you cheated on him. You're writing a story. You're both adults, you shouldn't have to explain or justify that to him.