Putting a sociopath into fantasy

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kerilum, Nov 25, 2016.

1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

From the modern Sherlock:

Sherlock Holmes: "I’m not a psychopath, Anderson, I’m a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research."

Not fantasy, I realize, and the POV character is Watson, but Holmes is certainly the MC, and his personality would IMO work just fine in fantasy

2. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

A quote doesn't do anything.

3. ChickenFreak

The quote was intended to point out that Sherlock Holmes, a specific character that would probably work in fantasy just as well as he worked in historic England, was regarded by someone as a sociopath.

But interpreting my post that way wouldn't give you a chance to be rude to me for the sin of trying to answer your question, so where would be the fun?

My apologies for responding to your thread. I'll remember not to commit the offense of trying to help you again.

BayView likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think what you meant to say was "Oh, thanks, I'll keep that in mind!"

5. antlad

antlad Banned

I do not offhand. I studied it a lot years ago. DSM is horrible and a couple decades behind in many areas. Master's class textbooks will probably have it. Student papers too. Dig through case studies. In general you have to dig and sort and filter to get what you want. There are a couple of good books out there about it.
    A good site for sociopath stuff- http://www.sociopathworld.com.

The main issue with sociopath is that the mental health industry can't agree on it, for good reason.
    Some are born, some are created. Some are treated as a condition, some are treated as an umbrella that covers many disorders.
    Many born sociopaths are some of the most 'successful' people in the world. The best surgeons, lawmakers, mechanical engineers, are born sociopaths. Most surgery instructors are sociopaths; medicine would be nowhere near where it is, were it not for a long line of sociopaths.
    Many created are homeless/institutionalized.

Psychosis (it comes and goes and is often just another part of life) and psychotic breaks are a common thing for most sociopaths. It is hard to explain it. Your brain is so full of conflicting data that it essentially 'resets' itself. Many don't seek help since they are already dealing with it; and, when you go to get help and say you are sociopathic, you are dumped into a nightmare maze of treatments. Most walk away because logic rules above all in their heads, and the treatments are usually the exact opposite.
    A mini rant from me-
    How can you 'treat' someone psychologically when they don't know what emotions are? There are no 'feelings' to deal with; it is all chameleon.

6. BayView

Wait - how can many born sociopaths be the best surgeons, lawmakers, and mechanical engineers if they're suffering from psychotic breaks?

I took a look at the site you linked to and didn't find anything saying that sociopaths suffer psychotic breaks - can you point it out to me? (I did find a list of ten key traits of sociopaths at http://www.sociopathworld.com/2014/09/a-comprehensive-beginners-guide-to.html but psychotic breaks weren't mentioned...)

7. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

you got me, haha

8. BayView

I think what you meant to say was "Oh, yeah, sorry."

NoGoodNobu and ChickenFreak like this.
  9. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Isn't Darth Vader technically a sociopath in the fantasy world of Star Wars?

10. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

Woah you're cool!

11. Kerilum

Kerilum Active Member

A character that's built up to be so and is not the protagonist.

12. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Hes not really a sociopath - In Sith he is driven to turn to the dark side out of fear for his wife, while at the end of Jedi he throws the emperor down the core to save his son - neither action being consistent with a sociopathic personality

13. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Oh okay then.

14. ChickenFreak

Yep. "Sociopath" isn't equivalent to "villain," in either direction.