1. QualityPen

QualityPen Member

QualityPen's Progress Thread (Fantasy Series)

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by QualityPen, Dec 5, 2016.

This thread is dedicated to my progress on a currently unnamed novel series set in a fantasy universe. I'm not a professional author, so this series is intended to be as much a hobby as an eventually published book series. I'm in the world-building phase of writing; I like to plan out a world with great detail before I begin writing so that I can avoid inconsistencies down the line.

Right now I am developing the geography, politics, religion, and culture of the regions that will feature in the books. There are four key nations that I need to create details for. Acias, Asgariath, Tavron, and the Silver Sea Coast are the names of these areas. Tavron is almost completely developed to where it needs to be and it will not really come into play until the third or fourth book in the series. The reason I focused on Tavron first is that it is the birthplace of my main character and his decisions in the books are often the result of his family's demise during a revolution in Tavron a little over a decade before the first book. Acias is where the books begin, so this is where i should focus my efforts next. The Silver Sea Coast will not be mentioned much in the first two books, so its development can be left for last.

I have also been creating a chapter by chapter plot outline for each novel simultaneously. These are likely subject to change as I begin to write the chapters and find ideas that I like more.

I'm having a little bit of difficulty with two things. The first is I find the hardest part to be pacing. How does one pace a journey that takes many months in a single 120,000 word book? The second is to find a non-deux-ex-machina way for my characters to defeat a demon that they release. The problem is that the demon is far more powerful than all of the characters he faces, combined. So I'm still thinking of a way to remedy this issue.

2. QualityPen

QualityPen Member

Found a fitting name for the first set of books in the series!

Northwind.

I was listening to some music on Youtube yesterday night when I came across a song titled Northwind. It had a few nice melodies in it that I thought were fitting, and I looked up the word, northwind. It means a wind that blows in from the north and is sometimes associated with a harsh winter.

All I'm going to say right now is that Northwind describes one of the nations, Asgariath, perfectly.

Interestingly, this title may also allow for spin off series (Eastwind, Southwind, Westwind) about other kingdoms. If I choose to go this route, I may eventually have the characters of the different series coalesce into a single new series for an epic conclusion- but that is all very far in the future.

Currently, I've been plotting this:
    Northwind 1: The Witch Hunter
    Northwind 2: The Obsidian Keep
    Northwind 3: The Lands of the Firebird

3. QualityPen

QualityPen Member

Goal for the rough draft's completion is by the end of January 2017, for about 50,000-75,000 words.

Chapter One of the Witch Hunter is finished!
    ~2,500 words.

4. RobertVWil

RobertVWil New Member

Wow very ambitious would like to read your first chapter

5. QualityPen

QualityPen Member

Here it is! Just an early draft that I want to get some feedback on.

Northwind: The Witch Hunter; Chapter One

6. QualityPen

QualityPen Member

I've gotten a little critique on other forums for Chapter 1 and have done some edits to the word document. Overall I'm glad to see that the chapter was well received despite a couple of errors. I added the critiques to my list of mistakes to avoid while writing future chapters. I'm not sure if it's because my goal was overambitious or simply because I am too busy with finals, end of January 2017 seems unlikely to be the conclusion. We will see.

I've written about 2/3 of chapter two.

7. QualityPen

QualityPen Member

I'm keeping the background information and general plot, but I am starting the writing over entirely. The truth is that this project has evolved greatly from when I began planning it out in December. The original story was to be 120,000 words and focus on the journeys of two characters. Since then, the original story thread has become just one of four similarly sized story threads and the character viewpoints have grown from one or two into the low tens.

This series will be far grander than anything I envisioned. Far more effort and time consuming. But it will be worth it.

More time has gone into plot and setting development. New empires have been created. New characters developed. Bring it on.

EDIT: I have finally settled on permanent names for the series and novels.

Champion of Winds 1: North Wind
    Champion of Winds 2: East Wind
    Champion of Winds 3: South Wind
    Champion of Winds 4: West Wind
    Champion of Winds 5: White Raven

For context, "wind" is somewhat synonymous with "empire."
    The White Raven is a character prophesied about in North Wind (and actually one of the very first few characters the readers will meet), but I will not reveal who they actually are until halfway through the fifth book. That having been said, I will leave plenty of subtle hints throughout the first four books.

I have written the prologue and chapter one to my liking. Comparing my old writings to the new ones is like looking back on art I did in my youth and realizing how sad it is compared to what I can draw today.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Dracon likes this.