1. Shanks

Shanks New Member

Quandry with a romantic subplot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Shanks, Aug 14, 2018.

So I’m in the plot development stages of a graphic superhero novel series but I’m unsure about the narrative stability of the direction I’m taking a romantic subplot between three characters; Shaw, a boy; Totty, a girl; and Sapphira, another girl.

Shaw is in love with Totty, but Totty is a runaway aristocrat who has had too many people lay down their lives for her in the past and has thusly become opposed to relationships as a whole, thinking that she’s a death sentence to anyone she becomes too close to. Sapphira, on the other hand, is in love with Shaw, and is also his best friend.

The current resolution to the subplot is to have Shaw be with Sapphira for a short time, but break it off with her because he’s too in love with Totty. Before the climax, Sapphira is mortally wounded in battle and dies in Shaw’s arms. Shaw later marries Totty after the climax and final battle, their kid being the protagonist of the next part, although Totty still lives separately from her husband and kid because of her *ahem* “philosophy.”

I’m unsure about this subplot, though, because the whole reason I gave Totty the philosophy that she has was to deviate from the traditional love interest and have a kind of “you can’t always get who you want” idea. I’m not sure if I should follow through with that idea or keep the plot I already have planned.

Opinions?

2. Linz

Linz Active Member

If their child is to be protagonist of the next piece, then you already have your answer - they have to get together.

If you want that whole, "you don't always get what you want" subtext, you have that ready and waiting for you too - Sapphira. It wouldn't be fair on her for Shaw to marry/get together with her, even for a short time, while he's in love with Totty, because she'll know how he feels for Totty in the way he looks at her and the way he behaves around her, so just don't put him with Sapphira.

wrabel and Shanks like this.
  3. Shanks

Shanks New Member

Hmm. I never really looked at it from Saph’s perspective. You make a good point. Thanks.

Linz likes this.