1. Saad Ali Shah

Saad Ali Shah New Member

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Saad Ali Shah, Jan 26, 2020.

Hi all, I am new here. I started writing recently. I have written one blog post and a Sci-fi short story. I have no clue about creative writing. Where can i learn the basics of writing?

Alan Aspie likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello Saad! I'm one of the moderators here, and I want to welcome you to the forum.

I also started writing before I knew anything about creative writing. I mean, I've been a lifelong voracious reader, and I have a BA in English, so I could 'write.' But it was all assignments, essays, etc ...I was in my mid-40s when I finally took the plunge and started writing a novel. It took me 5 years of writing (and researching) nearly every day before it was 'done.' And I was so excited.

THEN ...is when I started 'learning' about creative writing. And turns out I'd made just about every creative writing mistake I could possibly have made! Yikes. But because I had something I'd already written, it was easy to learn the basics because I already had something to work with. The novel is now ready to be published, once I figure out the publishing software. And it is a LOT different from that first draft, I can tell you.

So ...don't let the fact that you have 'no clue' at the moment. If you've already written a Sci-Fi story, then you have created something to work from.

I'm sure our members here can offer some advice, and I believe our Resource section should also contain links to places you can learn from. Basically, I'd recommend getting a few books on writing. The ones published by Writers' Digest are usually pretty good. I have several pertaining to novels, although I'm not sure if you plan to write only short stories, or what? Anyway, let us know what kind of things you would LIKE to be able to write—short stories, novels, poetry, plays?—and we can probably direct you to sources that will help.

Anyway, in the meantime....

I would recommend that you check out these two links, if you haven't already. These will get you oriented as to how the forum works.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

This is a link to our site map, which will help you connect with the parts of the forum you might be looking for:

https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

Anyway, if you encounter any difficulties while you're getting settled in, don't hesitate to 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll do what I can to help. Just click my owl avatar and follow the signs.

Explore around, jump in to any threads you find interesting, maybe visit our contests and read and vote on the entries. Also consider doing a few critiques in the Workshop areas. These are incredibly appreciated by the writers, and doing critiques is part of the requirements you must meet if you want to post your own work for feedback. So you might as well get a head start. :) You don't have to be an expert to do critiques; all the writers are looking for is some reader feedback. And that's a great way to make yourself known here, and get to know us as well.

Anyway, have fun! I'll see you around the threads, I hope.

Cheers for now,

Jan