1. StacyW

StacyW New Member

Quckest way to copyright

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by StacyW, Oct 25, 2016.

Hello, Sorry for the typo in the title lol...

May I ask a question. I have tried to get this answered and everybody only seems to comment on what's wrong with the question which undoubtedly is amateurish but I just would like it answered please.

Say there is a true life story and there is just one obvious title for the story that lots of writers would pick up on.

What is the quickest way to copyright something I don't mean " the moment you put it down it is copyrighted" or "you cant copyright a title" I know that.

What I mean is the copyright proof. Is a treatment the fastest way copyright something with the copyright office to get some breathing room to write your book? Has anyone done that?

Can I copyright what I have already which is about 20 chapters with about 3 pages in each, the synopsis, the outline. Then come back a rework and keep doing that until complete?

BTW the true life story is about me.

Thank You

Stacy

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You'll probably get fewer of the "it's copyrighted as soon as it's written down" answers if you change your question to the quickest way to register copyright.

And you'll get a better answer if you remember that registering copyright is a legal process and therefore changes from jurisdiction to jurisdiction--you don't say where you live, so it's hard to know what jurisdiction you're in.

I'm going to guess you're American.

So look at http://copyright.gov/prereg/ about pre-registering unfinished work. Of course, when you get there you'll read that "For the vast majority of works, preregistration is not useful", but I sense you don't want to be told that.

tonguetied likes this.