1. katieholt01

katieholt01 New Member

Query Critique for Romance Novel

Discussion in 'Query & Cover Letter Critique' started by katieholt01, Jul 15, 2021.

Hi everyone! I've been working on this query for a little while and I'm just looking for some feedback. It's a fun rom-com and I want it to come across that way with this letter. I'm also just not sure if I'm doing this whole query letter thing right, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Dear_____

Everything is coming up Rosie! No longer a small-town girl from Tennessee, she’s finally living in the big apple. She’s enrolled in a prestigious MFA Creative Writing Program, where she’s determined to write her great romance novel. The only thing stopping her? The impossibly serious Aiden Huntington, who has quickly turned into Rosie’s mortal enemy. He harshly critiques every chapter she writes, claiming romance and HEAs don’t exist. But Rosie prefers her rose-tinted view of the world over Aiden’s dreary one. The two are constantly bickering over which genre is better, lit-fic or romance, until their professor has had enough.

To pass the class, the two are forced to co-write a novel that blends the genres for their final project: a love story with a sad ending. They use the novel as a vehicle to insult each other, sending furious chapters back and forth. Eventually, they find themselves opening up to each other on the page. But those insults turn into real conversations and soon enough their characters are flirting. Rosie can’t help but wonder if she Aiden isn’t the grumpy, arrogant man she once thought he was. Then again, she could just be reading between the lines.

IN BETWEEN THE LINES is an adult rom-com complete at 80,000 words. It blends the humor of YOU DESERVE EACH OTHER by Sarah Hogle and the steamy nature of FIX HER UP by Tessa Bailey. It will appeal to romance readers who love the enemies to lovers and only one-bed tropes. This would be a good fit for your list since you mentioned you’re looking for____-.

I run a romance bookstagram with 1700 followers with an engagement rate of 42%. I have provided a link for your convenience:

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Katie Holt

2. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor

In this instance, if she is querying the appropriate agents, would it be reasonable to assume they know what HEA (Happily Ever After) means?