1. Seren

Seren Writeaholic Supporter

Agents Query Meltdown: Addresses and Pen Names

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Seren, Oct 27, 2017.

Hi, everyone!

I've spent many more hours than I care to admit writing a query to send off to agents. To do this, I've been looking at loads of tips and examples all over the internet. But some sources contradict each another.

Some say I should include my address and the address of the agency. Some say I definitely shouldn't. Now I'm very confused. Are they just saying I'm not supposed to include it if my query is being sent via email? Or am I supposed to include it no matter what?

I've also seen that, unless you're published already, you shouldn't include the fact that you wish to write under a pen name in your query letter. Is that true even when you blog under your pen name?

I'm terrified of doing something wrong. Thank you in advance. :)

2. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

You probably don't need to worry about mentioning pen names unless they ask for the manuscript. It's a long time since I've sent one to anyone, so maybe the standard format has changed, but it used to be that you'd put your real name and address on it, and then 'by <whatever your pen name is>' on the title page.

The only reason I could see to mention a pen name before that would be if it already had writing credits that might convince them to read your book.

Seren likes this.
  3. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan Member Supporter Contributor

The best way to figure out if you should mention that you want to write under a pseudonym is to check the submission guidelines for respective agents you wish to query. If they mention it, then yes, you should probably say something, but if not, then you really don't have to worry about it for a while. If someone is seriously considering your manuscript, there'll be plenty of occasions to mention that you want to use a pen name before your contracts are signed.

Seren likes this.
  4. BayView

BayView Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't bother with physical addresses when writing e-mails.

If your blog is relevant to your writing in some way, I think I'd mention the pen name... "I've already established my pen name, Jane Smith, with a blog that has over ten thousand subscribers" or whatever.

Seren likes this.
  5. Seren

Thanks, everyone. :)

6. Seren

Oh, actually, now that it's the morning and my brain is functioning a little better, I have one more question. The blog is fairy new and doesn't really get looked at. Is mentioning it still a good idea? Or, without many views, is it going to do more harm than good to point it out?

7. BayView

BayView Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't mention it if it isn't pretty successful. Maybe something vague about how you're "excited to keep building my social media presence" or something, but if the building thus far hasn't amounted to much I don't think it's a plus.

Seren likes this.
Tags: