1. Thomas A

Thomas A New Member

Question about the legality of using Crown Copyright Images in Canada.

Discussion in 'Research' started by Thomas A, Mar 27, 2017.

Recently I have discovered a few major flaws with a local Crown Corporation in Manitoba, Canada. These flaws actually are very serious and pose a security risk to Canadians and also Americans. my complaints to the company have gone ignored for some time now. I am planning on releasing a book exposing these flaws to spread awareness, but I am unsure of if this may merit legal backlash. I have had a debate with a few people already and collectively we are unsure of where free speech ends and copyright laws begin. The questions I now have that will determine the amount I must censor my book are as follows:
    1: Can A publication in Canada freely use the name of a crown corporation with the intentions of spreading information?
    2: May these publications include documents given to the public by the Crown Corporation? (I.E, do legal documents hold any crown copyrights?)
    3: Will I need to censor the images of the Crown Corporation Logo on any included documents?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

This is a question for a lawyer. You are using someone else's intellectual property for a purpose that they will clearly consider harmful to them. That is NOT something that you want to undertake based on amateur legal advice.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

not to mention the libel potential

The only amateur advice worth listening to here is "don't do it" , if you're not taking that see a lawyer before you do anything

4. Zadocfish

Zadocfish Member

I have to go with the last two posters, this is a serious legal question and you probably need legit legal advice.