1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Grammar Points

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Cacian, Dec 26, 2011.

THIS IS AN EXERCISE FREE FROM GOOGLE

How do you guys understand the usage of the Indefinit Article?

A and AN

which do you use after these words WITHOUT looking into GOOGLE

table
    monitor
    history
    barnacle
    alleged
    suspicious
    response
    allucination
    Oscar

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

Is this really necessary? It's no different to the indefinite article in French, except that it's even easier to know because there are no genders to worry about. If the next word begins with a vowel sound, use an. If it begins with a consonant sound, use a. Just like l' and le/la.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

arron's right... it's an exercise in futility for any who already speak and write english even minimally well... i don't see any need for threads devoted to beginning-english lessons... all here but a rare few like yourself [and tortue?], cacian, are either native english speakers, or know the language well enough to not need lessons in the simplest basics of english grammar, so threads like this are really a waste of space/time/energy...

this isn't a site for those needing an ESL course, but for those who already can write in english at least to a higher degree of skill than needing to be taught when/how 'a' or 'an' used... it's threads like this that spur the less well-behaved among us to make fun of you, so for your own sake, i do wish you would give more thought to what you post and stick to issues that writers really can relate to and will find helpful, instead of putting up so many threads on what most here have to consider 'silly' subjects...

i'm doing my best to help you and defend you when bullies act up, but you don't make it easy with so many threads like this one...

love and hugs, maia

4. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Especially considering that it's actually a silly playground trick question. The answer is "neither". "A" or "An" would go before those words, not after.

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

is not a question trick..nobody is trying to play anything nor it is a playground.. it is a genuine mistake..I meant before.

6. Protar

Protar Active Member

There's not really any need for this as others have said. I think everyone here has a grasp of basic grammar.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you took it from any source, then you should have posted it verbatim by copy/pasting instead of retyping it and thus making it seem to be a trick question due to your mistake in writing 'after' instead of 'before'...

you need to know that it's highly unethical to cite a source when not quoting the material exactly as it appeared there...

besides which, this was not 'AN EXERCISE FREE FROM GOOGLE'...coming across something in a google search does not mean the google-folk provided it... they just helped you to find it...

8. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I was giving him the benefit of the doubt there, and assuming that it was free from Google in the same way as a doughnut might be free from hydrogenated fats. I read it as a stilted way of saying the "WITHOUT looking into GOOGLE" bit.

9. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

It is times like this when Pepe Le Peu says it best:

Le sigh...