1. DeligentBat

DeligentBat New Member

Question about Third Person Limited

Discussion in 'Point of View, and Voice' started by DeligentBat, Dec 9, 2022.

Heyo fellow writers. New here. My book follows the two main characters in a third person limited style (POV changes chapter to chapter type thing) but I'm a wee bit confused about writing characters with other characters / in a group setting. Do you use 'they' to describe multiple characters in limited?

An example: They walked back together.

Or should it be: Anastasia walked back with Josephine? The POV would be Anastasia's.

Another example: Anastasia ran after Josephine and tackled her. They tumbled off the cliff, landing roughly at the bottom. Is it right to use 'they' there?

Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question. I think I've confused myself. Been writing straight for the past sixteen hours, my brain's a pile of mush xD

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @DeligentBat, and welcome to the forum.

"the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask..."

I think your question is more about use of pronouns than POV. When your in Anastasia's POV, it would be wrong to start describing Josephine's innermost thoughts and perceptions, but it isn't wrong to mix it up a bit with nouns (names) and pronouns; it would get very wearing for a reader having to read a list of names every sentence.

hmnut likes this.
  3. DeligentBat

DeligentBat New Member

Hello, Hammer! Thank you so much for your response! That helps, and I was a little worried about all the names. Cheers! :)

Hammer likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I agree with @Hammer. I also think any of your three examples could work. It's not really a POV issue you're dealing with in these examples.

5. DeligentBat

DeligentBat New Member

Thanks deadrats! Good to know it's not a POV issue. I was worried that it might somehow have been slipping into a more omniscient style, but yeah I think I just confused myself. I'm good to keep writing for the next sixteen hours now haha!

Terbus and deadrats like this.
  6. Terbus

Terbus Active Member

Currently Reading::
    To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini
    All three examples you give work. I prefer to use characters' names or alternate to 'they' whenever possible. It requires a bit of creative thinking, but I like what I end up with so it works out. Unless you are dealing with a large number of characters or nothing else will work, I would review other options first. For example, I would have used 'both' in place of 'they' in the third example. However, I agree with the others here that it's not so much a POV issue as it is a stylistic choose.