Tags:
  1. Xayah for Dinner

Xayah for Dinner Member

Question about what content is unacceptable to KDP?

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Xayah for Dinner, Apr 30, 2019.

Will Amazon KDP take issue with me if my work contains a scene with a little girl getting raped

this isn't some G rated disney shit

edit: I think I found my answer already..
    https://absolutewrite.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-336042.html
    the second poster says it really just depends on how I'm writing it. If I write the scene in an erotic way, it gets removed. I guess that's how it works?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2019
  2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Replies to this question should refer entirely to the prospects and legalities of its being published.

You've all been warned.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

In short yes and no... so long as its not written in an erotic way you'll be able to publish it on KDP - however if its a big part of the story you may not be able to advertise it on AMS or FB which will essentially make it hard to sell

4. Xayah for Dinner

Xayah for Dinner Member

well that's good news coz it isn't written in an erotic way. It's not a big part of the story, but honestly I don't care if this ebook is 'hard to sell'
    as long as it doesn't get banned on every platform, I'll be fine.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The only other thing is if they think its glorifying, justifying or promoting paedophilia... ie don't make the rapist your MC. This is all determined by bots so you may find that a book that shouldn't be rejected is, or conversely a book that should be isn't - at least until someone complains.

6. Xayah for Dinner

Xayah for Dinner Member

not doing those things, and the rapist in question is not the MC. So wait, bots might auto block my book? ... if that happens do I contact KDP support? I'm assuming I'd have to

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

If it's not a big part of the story, why did you decide to dramatize it? Just curious. I think the reasons for it could tell us something about how it would be received, either by editors or (since you're publishing yourself) readers.

8. big soft moose

yep if that happens you email kdp support and ask for a review of the decision - sometimes they reverse it some times they don't - if they don't you can appeal the decision to second line review... sometimes they reverse it sometimes they don't...if they don't you can go to the @Jeff email address sometimes they reverse it sometimes they don't... after that you are out of appeals and can only change the content and reupload it

its worth noting that unless its in response to a reader complaint the bots generally work off the look inside , the blurb and the cover (and certain other things like the back matter and the Toc which aren't relevant here) - they don't scan the entire book line by line

9. big soft moose

With my mod hat on I've changed the title and first line, because we'd rather not have a reference to a little girl getting raped sat there at the top of the main page

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Putting a trigger warning in your book description might help avoid complaints by readers.

11. big soft moose

but is more likely to lead to a bot ban since they will scan the description for trigger words

12. Xayah for Dinner

Xayah for Dinner Member

well, I can't preserve my anonymity if I discuss this. Sorry :supercool:

13. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I've seen a lot of books with trigger warnings in dark romance. They might use specific language to avoid the bot issue.