1. Bolu Kai

Bolu Kai Member

Similar Sayings - "Moral Compass"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Bolu Kai, Oct 11, 2016.

I am trying to find sayings that are similar to "moral compass." Moreover, a saying that describes something abstract in a concrete way. A moral compass is a feeling that guides people from doing or understanding right and wrong. This feeling is described as a compass which gives us a reference to how this feeling functions. Can you guys think of anything that is similar to this. I am looking for words, idioms, etc. Anything remotely similar.

cydney likes this.
  2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Honor? Ethic?

cydney likes this.
  3. cydney

cydney Banned

I'm not sure what you're looking for but my first thought is that you're talking about having the inner strength or the instinct to do what's right w/consistency. Unfortunately some of us have it. Some of us don't. This is an interesting question! I'll keep watching.

The word compass makes me think about the word 'guide' of course.

Did you read William Bennett's book?

4. Bolu Kai

Bolu Kai Member

I'm not looking for a definition, or synonym, for a "moral compass." I'm looking for sayings, phrases, or single words that are the similar in usage as a moral compass. I'm looking for other inner senses like the moral compass that are similar to the moral compass. More specifically, phrases or words that use tangible objects (like the compass) to describe an emotion, desire, etc. Hopefully this makes what I am looking for more clear.

cydney likes this.
  5. cydney

cydney Banned

Yes, it does. Sounds difficult. I can see why you're asking for help! Good luck. I'll keep a thought out! Good project. Pleasant to think about. :)

Bolu Kai likes this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    They have scruples. Something my grandfather use to say that kinda means the same thing. :)

Seraph751 and cydney like this.
  7. TheWriteWitch

TheWriteWitch Active Member

Hot button issues, thinking cap, well of experience, biological clock, key to the heart, trigger words. . .

Am I on the right track?

Bolu Kai and Wreybies like this.
  8. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Morality
    Common sense

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I think you've gotten the gist of what the OP is looking for. ;) You already gave the one I was going to offer: biological clock.

-----------------------------------------------

The OP is not looking for terms or phrases that have a similar meaning to moral compass. The OP is looking for metaphorical concepts concerning the inner workings of a human paradigm that function syntactically similar to the way the phrase moral compass functions. Moral compass is a metaphor. There is no actual, physical compass needle within a human body or mind, unless you swallowed one, and even if you did swallow one, all it would do is tell you where north is, not the difference between right and wrong. The OP is looking for other metaphors we use to describe other aspects of the human condition.

cydney likes this.
  10. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

The light of conscience.

11. cydney

cydney Banned

@Wreybies - I see that now. Thanks. I love the phrase, the idea of 'moral compass'. Easy for me to get hung up on that.

@Bolu Kai - good luck! This is a tough. I'm thinking you don't want some worn cliché, tho, right? Something original and different?

12. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Righteous path in religion is very similar and often moral codes stem from teachings of ancient holy men.

13. WNP

WNP Member

Similar to biological clock mentioned above, there the body clock. The thing that wakes me up at 6am on a Saturday when I don't have to be up!

14. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Aye, I were a knot of neurosis about matters other, chasing a dragon me-half remembers with me fingers burned, when the windows of me soul clocked this thread and cast it deep into me psyche. Usually the land of nod, but no nod were going on me inner voice informed. 'T'were all a tad 'ectic in there too. Aye again, for in me mind's eye I were other-wisely engaged; I were a-bobbin about on aboat yer see, on a sea of troubles, battling with me demons at 'time, they were trying to prise me empathy chip free which were hard-wired to me moral compass like and cross-stitched doubly to me yin yang. Wouldn't 'ave it tho, I wouldn't; me feathers were ruffled so to 'ave me truculent enough for a kerfuffle! Reached down double-handed plucked me heart of gold, raised it head and shoulders o'er sea and smashed it down to splinter away such ship of fools and all me sorrows drown in sea I did see.

Albeit likes this.
  15. Albeit

Albeit Active Member

Moral fiber can work as well as moral compass I would say. I think both these metaphors speak of what is hard to define.

Arrr young Billy, have you ever been to sea ?

Bolu Kai likes this.
  16. Scot

Scot Senior Member

Themes along the lines of:-
    Personal code of ethics.
    Moral rectitude.
    Scrupulous behaviour
    Self discipline
    Code of honour
    Bushido

17. WNP

WNP Member

Inner steel?

Bolu Kai and SethLoki like this.
  18. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

I'd say so yes. I used to get that confused with having your mettle tested. < Possibly inner steel is derived from that??

And by association I'm led to

'Grit'

which is I guess loosely connected to the first post where the request was made to describe abstract traits with something concrete.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  19. Bolu Kai

Bolu Kai Member

YES! You are on the right path. These are exactly the type of sayings I am trying to collect. If you, or anyone else, think of more I would greatly appreciate it! I have been having so much trouble trying to think of these. Somehow I managed to completely forget about biological clocks :meh:. Thanks! Keep em' coming!

Wreybies likes this.
  20. Wreybies

Were I you, I would edit the OP to make it a little more transparent what you are looking for. You may need to get a little pedantic. ;) Otherwise, you're going to keep getting only synonyms for the original example you gave rather than other examples of similar metaphors for different aspects of the human condition.

21. TheWriteWitch

Next scattershot of idioms (in the hopes that if they don't work they at least remind you of another one):

Window to the soul, skeleton in the closet, vault of secrets, lucky dice, apple of my eye, gears of thought, bottled up emotions, talking stick, hourglass figure, sliver of hope, head full of rocks, tight belt budget, horn of plenty, train of thought. . .

22. Wreybies

@TheWriteWitch just won this thread. Thank you for playing, everyone. Better luck next time. :supercool:

Bolu Kai and TheWriteWitch like this.
  23. TheWriteWitch

:supercute:

24. Bolu Kai

Bolu Kai Member

@Wreybies is right, you stole the show! These idioms are so helpful. Thank you @TheWriteWitch! :D:D:D:D:D

TheWriteWitch and Wreybies like this.
  25. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

Chains of society
    Reason
    Civilized