1. mg357

mg357 Active Member

Question? For my fellow writers that is a bit unusual.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by mg357, Feb 5, 2013.

I have a question for my fellow writers thats a bit unsual, Have you ever done a writing project that was so good that immediately after you wrote it you decided to writer a story just like it but no how hard to you tried you could not get the other project written?

The reason that i ask is because i wrote a story that was very good and i am very proud of it, and i wanted to write another just like it but with a different plot of course, but no matter how hard i try i can not get the other project written down.

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Can't say that I have. My goal when I am finished a writing project is usually for the next one to be completely different.

3. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

When I wrote my first crime novel, I immediately wanted to write a sequel. So I did.

4. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Writing a sequel and writing something exactly like the first work is not the same thing. If what you wrote is so good that you are that proud of yourself for writing it, then it is only natural that you can't bring yourself to write an imitation because it will seem cheap and fake. Plus, plagiarizing is never a good thing even if you are plagiarizing yourself. If you want to pile on your already finished story write a sequel like Show suggested, otherwise go for a different one.

5. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I agree. A sequel is different than the same thing. That was just the closest I came to the OP's scenario. I am not sure it's possible to write the SAME thing. Different plot will create at least a little different feel and I imagine even very similar characters will be different.

A lot of my novels have arguably been very similar, but they are not exactly the same. I think maybe the OP just might be going for that same level of excitement.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Why, specifically, can't you write it? Is it that you can't come up with a new plot? You don't have an interesting main character? Are you having a hard time finding the right tone, the right voice? Are you bored with this kind of material, having just written a good story that's very similar?

7. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I think your problem is in wanting to write "another just like it". No two things are just like one another and especially complex things like stories. It's almost as if they had personalities. Serial fiction perhaps, but even serials have quite a different flavour between the episodes. Perhaps it's time to push yourself out of your comfort zone (in which you wrote the first story). Whether you succeed or fail, you'll learn something, and to learn is to improve.

8. mg357

mg357 Active Member

minstrel: The original story featured an object as the plot and how this object went from person to person. I was hoping to do a story just like the first one but featuring a different object and how it goes from person to person but i was having trouble finding the object and how it would move from each person and how long each person who has the object will have it and how it would be used.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Sounds like a MacGuffin (google it).

10. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Busy yourself with another project - then the perfect idea will hit you, interrupting your work.
    It always happens to me.

11. mg357

mg357 Active Member

Thank you peachlulu i think i will do that.

12. Xatron

Xatron New Member

True, great ideas about a story always come to me when i am working on another story. Usually making me want to bang my head against the wall, see if it will rearrange the timings and stuff.

13. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

This reminds me of second novel syndrome.