1. Fox

Fox New Member

Minotaur (from mythology) question

Discussion in 'Research' started by Fox, Oct 17, 2009.

Quick question for those who would know this.

What sound would a minotaur make? A roar? A scream? Howl?
    I can't figure this one out. So if you have any clue or suggestion, please tell me. I don't want to say that the minotaur roared but then it isn't supposed to.
    Small detail, I know, but it'd give a better feel if it was right.

Thanks in advance.

2. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Silly as it might sound, why not look up a video with an angry bull? That would probably give you an idea of what the creature would sound like. I think either a growl or roar would work for me- though if it is an intelligent creature it would also be capable of screaming.

3. Fox

Fox New Member

Hm. Thanks. I think I'll go with a sort of guttural roar then.

4. von Pook

von Pook Member

I found this off site link that seems to go through all the sounds a Minotaur would make, I guess someone's idea anyway. Maybe this can influence you.
    http://elothtes.pbworks.com/Minotaur+Tongue

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

since it's sound-making half of a minotaur is that of a bull, it wouldn't 'growl'... nor 'scream,' unless you give it a human voice,which of course you could do, being the writer and thus able to make it be anything you want it to be...

6. von Pook

von Pook Member

Aparently its never been stated which half is man and which half is bull in Mythology, so it can be a man's head on a bull's body.

7. mammamaia

yes, it has been said. . . look it up in any dictionary, check the most reliable versions of the myth and you'll see it's most often described as having the head of a bull on the body of a man. . .

8. von Pook

von Pook Member

I worded my previous comment badly. :rolleyes:
    I know that is the standard myth; as the Greeks imagined him, a creature with the head of a bull on the body of a man, but it has not always been so. From Classical times through the Renaissance, the Minotaur appears at the center of many depictions of the Labyrinth. Ovid's (Roman poet- 43 BC/AD 17) Latin account of the Minotaur, which did not elaborate on which half was bull and which half man, was the most widely available during the Middle Ages, and several later versions show the reverse of the Classical configuration: a man's head and torso on a bull's body, reminiscent of a centaur. This alternative tradition survived into the Renaissance, and still figures in some modern depictions, such as Steele Savage's illustrations for Edith Hamilton's Mythology (1942).

Wikipedia link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minotaur
    Wikipedia information is not vetted and can be submitted by less than authoritative sources.

Roman representation of the Minotaur.

[​IMG]

9. mammamaia

since the myth originated with the ancient greeks, it seems the height of foolishness to me, that anyone would rely on later distortions in re the minotaur's appearance... even with literary license a given... especially since the beast was meant to be terrifying, as a bull's head on a man's body would certainly be more frightening and menacing to its human victims, than a centaur-like hybrid...

10. Henry The Purple

Henry The Purple Active Member

The head of a man on the body of a bull would make me laugh. And laugh loudly! The roman interpretation looks like a hybrid of a hybrid.

11. mammamaia

yes, it could appear funny to us in this time and level of civilization, but to the ancient greeks, it was terrifying...

12. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Greek mythology often states that the minotaur was a man with a bull's head. As for the sounds he'd make, I would assume it'd be that of a bull and perhaps some of the more, non-speech related sounds like humans make.

13. Joran Selemis

Joran Selemis Member

I'd say sounds that a bull makes. Roaring would be my best bet, since its vocal chords (if we're speaking scientifically) would be encompassed by the bull part of him.