1. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Recovering Lost Material

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by S-wo, Sep 5, 2010.

I feel terrible right now. I just recently sat down a written a good bit of my current story and seemed to have lost it. Before I had closed my window in Microsoft Word 2007, I was asked to save my current changes and I clicked on the no option. I consciencely did that because I was messing around with the formatting of my book so far. I think I remember having my mouse over the save symbol and clicking it before then, but when I had reloaded the file it came back to the point where I had just begun my most recent writing.

I was wondering if there was a way I could recover the lost text. I could've sworn I had clicked on save before messing with the format, but I guess I didn't click on it all the way and just clicked on a blank space. I've been trying to retype it by memory and not by memory, but I am too bugged by the fact that I lost so much. I was wondering maybe I could recover it in a way like when you delete items they go to the recycle bin first? Maybe there's some form of history that I can track? All advice will be appreciated.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Try clicking on the circle thing in the top left corner (the one that drops down "Save," "Print," etc) and next to it there should be something that says "Recent Documents," see if it's in there, good luck.

3. raingem

raingem New Member

Word 2007 should auto-save. Look for something called "Drafts" in the option's menu.

4. Chudz

Chudz New Member

The only other thing that I can think of is to take a look at your "temp" folder, if you're on an MS system. Sort it by date and see if anything is from the time you're looking for.

5. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

And if you poke around the options you can find where it's been saving the backups... I had hidden files revealed on my desktop, and the backups all appeared there, where the actual files where kept (because I'm extremely disorganised :p) I'm not sure though if I changed a setting somewhere originally so that I could have the backups save in the original folder, versus some random temp folder I can never find. I do a lot of poking around and changing settings at 3am when I'm bored and tired... Think that was how I had hidden icons showing up in the first place. :p

6. Bad_Valentine

Bad_Valentine New Member

It's gone forever.