1. 354897

354897 Member

Questions about self publishing a book2

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by 354897, Jun 3, 2021.

im planning on pursuing a copyright in the government and also a creative commons license, because all i care about is
    1. that im acknowledged as the author of the material,
    2. that i can do with it as i please(publish books, ect...) and
    3. its not modified at all(paraphrasing is ok as long as it represents the true heart of it)

beyond that i dont care if its copied and duplicated as long as its for free(if the end user does it). my version wont be free but the minimum costs involved will be the costs
    is there any hickups or bad things that can happen if i proceed with this plan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2021
  2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Not an expert, but what you describe is similar to copyleft, but that usually applies to software and I think modifications are usually permitted, provided it's still free to others. Does anyone know if the concept of copyleft and licenses apply to written works?

You can always register your work but include these conditions in the foreward of the book. In other words something that says "I won't sue you unless you do x, y, z with my book."

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you have copyright as soon as you've written the words... you can if you wish register the copyright.

on the second point about licencing you can give whatever permissions you wish in the book, but I'd strongly suggest you speak to a lawyer about the wording of the terms. (just like the licensing discussion in your previous thread no one here is qualified to give you legal advice)