1. BlindMag

BlindMag New Member

Diners and law enforcement

Discussion in 'Research' started by BlindMag, Jun 10, 2011.

I've got two questions for two separate pieces I'm working on at the moment. The first questions should be pretty straightforward for anyone that's worked a waitress/waiter job before: How long does a typical shift last at a diner, and how many servers are working at any given time? Also, would any of that information differ if the diner is open 24 hours or not?

My second question may be more opinion that actual fact, but I'd like some feedback anyway. A little backstory: My MC is a solitary man who goes out with women mainly to keep his mother happy, but he never sees the same woman for very long. He prefers to keep to himself and rarely spends time with other people he's not related to. He was originally supposed to be a police detective for plot reasons, but I thought that may conflict with his personality. So my second choice was to make him the coroner that works for the police department, which brings me to my question: Is it too obvious/cliché/whatever you want to call it to have him work as a coroner? It definitely fits his personality, but does it fit too much? Or does his being a detective just add another layer to the story? I'd love to hear your take on this.

2. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

Medical Examiner

That's the term they use for the Coroners, I believe.

It fits, don't even care if it's cliche.

3. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I've never worked in a 24 hour open diner, but shifts differs between place to place in my experience. I've never worked anywhere with a shift that was longer than 8 hours, though one place I worked at I had to work double shifts often. Only 6 hour shifts luckily, but 12 hours on the clock is extremely tiring (glad it was just a summer job, or I wouldn't have been able to work there).

I think him being a coroner sounds more interesting than detective.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

8-hour shifts are the norm, but there are exceptions, depending on where this takes place and what the employer can get away with...

as for the coroner idea, coroners do not work for the police department... they're either elected, or appointed and the post is mostly an administrative one... plus, they are not the same as 'medical examiners'... this differs from country to country, state to state, county to county, city to city...

do your homework and research the subject... google is your best friend...

5. Ashrynn

Ashrynn Active Member

The Medical Examiner is the one who does autopsies for the Police and law enforcement, correct?

I think the OP believes the Coroner handles Autopsies.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, those who perform autopsies are generally called 'medical examiners'... or, in some places, 'forensic pathologists'...

the coroner would assign a medical examiner to do an autopsy, if the need for one is indicated... that's the only way a coroner would 'handle' an autopsy...

7. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

I did a quick check on, uh, wikiepedia:

A coroner is a government official who

Investigates human deaths
    Determines cause of death
    Issues death certificates
    Maintains death records
    Responds to deaths in mass disasters
    Identifies unknown dead
    Other functions depending on local laws

A medical examiner is a medically qualified government officer whose duty is to investigate deaths and injuries that occur under unusual or suspicious circumstances, to perform post-mortem examinations, and in some jurisdictions to initiate inquests.

In some jurisdictions with English origins or history, a coroner performs these and other duties. Within the United States, there is a mixture of coroner and medical examiner systems, and in some states, dual systems. The meaning of these terms, duties, and requirements to hold office vary widely between jurisdictions.

Anyway, as long as the guy isn't an alcoholic with a broken marriage and perhaps a chain smoker, I'm fine with it. And he might want to not break the law for a change. :p

8. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I agree, detectives have been worked over on tv lately.

But a police detective could be anti-social, having seen the worst of humans, both male and female. If he worked vice or drugs, he could be disgusted by most women from what he saw at work. Drugs and money getting women(and men) to do almost anything. Seeing people that trusted the woman being betrayed.

But like I said, so many police detectives on tv, go for a less popular career.

But ME, and for the most part the coroner would not be in near the exciting police action. "Scene safe" before the non-trained investigators are allowed in. Maybe the ME has a police friend that can provide the excitement. (if this is a crime-drama)