1. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason

Quick question...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CharlieTheUnicorn13, Jan 5, 2008.

Okay. I'm writing a story. Somewhere around chapter three the main character learns her true name. Do I still use the same old name when referring to her, or can I use the new one?

2. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

I think that you could use an incorporaation of both. Have people still use the old name as they is what they are use to. Slowly over time you could have it all be her real name, but bring it in gradually over time like you would in real life.

It is hard to call someone bob when you knew them as orlando all their life and they wouldn't always respond to bob out right. So slowly bring it in I think.....

3. CharlieTheUnicorn13

Well, to tell you the truth, she doesn't really "know" anyone. The girl who helps her find her real name just says, "Hey you," to adress her. So... Can I go straight to the new name right away? I'm just wondering if when I go to chapter four if it would make sense for the narrator (you know what I mean by narrator) to go from saying, "Tammy entered the kitchen," to, "Natasha entered the kitchen." I'm wondering if it would make any sense to the reader.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That struggle you're having with this question - don't you think the character feels that same struggle, but even more so?

Let that guide your writing.

5. ANT (Bar YOSEF)

ANT (Bar YOSEF) New Member

True- my charcter calls her father "father" when its revealed he isn't.

6. Sophronia

Sophronia New Member

You could probably use both names, as long as your making it clear to the reader who those names belong to; I use multiple names and titles for some of my characters. You just have to be careful who you're referring to ie make sure there aren't 2 Bobs in the same room or it might get confusing '^^

7. CharlieTheUnicorn13

Thanks for the tips, guys. Because of this thread, I just got an awesome idea for the story. :) I suppose when she learns her real name, in the next chapter it will explain that she's finding it hard to believe that (insert name here) is actually her name. Thanks again. :)

8. Zetta

Zetta New Member

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest, Charlie. Perhaps you could make it a minor subplot in the first few chapters after she learns her name that she's trying to get used to it. Like, if you're writing in third person (which I believe you are), you could convey it with something like,

Sue, now Sally, agreed....blah, blah blah...Sue couldn't get used to the fact her name was really Sally...blah, blah, blah...

and eventually refer to her by her new name as she gets used to it.

If that doesn't fit in well, do what you think would work. It sounds like you have an idea, anyway. :)