1. Mad Klown

Mad Klown New Member

White Smoke

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Mad Klown, Oct 4, 2011.

WF Community,

So does anyone here use White Smoke and what do you think of it?

v/Respectfully,
    Keven

2. Clumsywordsmith

Clumsywordsmith Active Member

If I needed something like that, then I think I'd just go back to taking a class of remedial grammar. Thing is, when you get to a certain point grammar becomes less of a hard and fast set of rules that must be followed, and more a guideline. Certain parts can be blown off. Certain parts simply must be adhered to. Not that I wish to claim I'm at that point... but really, a grammar checker seems nothing short of superfluous. Akin to using my GPS to navigate to places I already know how to reach.

3. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Nope.

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

No, I don't use anything like that either.

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I deeply distrust grammar checkers. They can't accurately diagnose either correct or incorrect grammar.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

From what I've heard, White Smoke is "intelligent" enough that it actually does a pretty good job. But I find grammar checkers annoying and do not intend to use one, whether it is effective or not.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the only grammar checker a writer should rely on is one's brain... if there's insufficient data there to determine what's ok and what's not, then study/learning is called for, not a non-human grammar checker...

8. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    I use the grammar checker in my word processor to help me spot blunders, but I feel confident enough to disagree with it.

9. Croga

Croga New Member

I tried going to the Site and I got a-lot of alarm bells.(had to click are you sure you want to visit.)
    I use word, but not a chance do I let it tell me whats write. Think I defeated the purpose of using it with the numerous clicks the ignore rule button has taken.

10. Croga

Croga New Member

I tried going to the Site and I got a-lot of alarm bells.(had to click are you sure you want to visit.)
    I use word, but not a chance do I let it tell me whats write. Think I defeated the purpose of using it with the numerous clicks the ignore rule button has taken.

11. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

I have never even heard of this. I think if you write on a regular basis, whether it's creative writing, writing papers for class, writing articles, or keeping a public blog, normally it just becomes habit to use the right rules and do the right things.

12. zeuslee

zeuslee New Member

I use grammar checker software for assurance rather than for proofreading purpose. It helps to have another eye scrutinizing for mistakes. :) I don't use whitesmoke though. Used it once and it gave me something more than I need - virus. For others who will like to give grammar checker a try, go for Ginger Software's proofreader.

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

nope.
    I go with my instinct instead.

14. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

Never even heard of it until now.
    Methinks proof-reading your work a few times would have the same effect?

15. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I've heard of them and I used to get a weekly e-mail. But I never paid attention to the product. The e-mail had nice grammar tips every once in a while. If you want, sign up for the e-mail at a spam-catching address if you don't mind wading through the ten obvious tips to get to the one decent one that comes up every so often.

The only grammar checker I've used is Word. Not that it's a good one, but when it catches an error...well...it catches an error. More often, it catches things it thinks are errors but are actually fine. There should be no grammar checker (for that matter, no spellchecker) that does the work of a human.

Unless that grammar checker is Skynet. I'd take its word for it.

16. architectus

architectus Banned

IMO, White Smoke and Grammarly are useless, unless your English is so bad, the software can actually help you. This would most likely be because English is not your first language. Those softwares are marketed to such people whose first language is not English.

17. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Although most spelling/grammar checkers would probably both pick up on "Those softwares", so they are of some use. The one in my word processor is good enough for me, though.