1. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Quotes from ignored people

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ChickenFreak, Jan 19, 2019.

I find this to be a bit of a problem:

- I Ignore Poster A
    - Poster A is quoted by Poster B.
    - But since Poster A is on Ignore, there's no hint of that quote.

This can cause confusion--Poster B's post may be assumed to be in response to the post directly above, or may just be misunderstood when read completely out of context.

Does the current or planned software support any way to say, for example, "You are ignoring content by the quoted member" and placing that where the quote was?

I have learned by now that when I say, "Huh?" I should go to the bottom of the page, confirm that there's a "show ignored content" link there, and either click it if I really care what's going on, or just assume that it's the cause of the "Huh?" if I don't care that much.

But I've seen other people respond to these out-of-context posts. And it's a little uncomfortable to say, "Um...Poster B was responding to Poster A, who you're apparently ignoring."

It's also uncomfortable, when I respond to someone eminently ignorable, to add a disclaimer to my post, "Please note that this is in response to a quote that you may not be able to see."

I know that the magical Ignore button is helping me to stay out of squabbles. This would make it do a better job of that.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I agree with this. It can get really hard to follow threads sometimes, and I've absolutely seen situations where misunderstandings were clearly arising because someone wasn't realizing that someone else was on ignore.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Same here. There are certain threads I just have to give up on all together because half the posts are missing.

4. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

The worst are the threads where every post is missing!

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I guess if enough content originates from members you've put on the ignore list in a certain thread, then do you really want to know how the discussion in that thread is going anyway?

Anyway I'll tag @Komposten who's far more aware of this software stuff than I am.

6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I cannot find any settings for this (or anything concerning the ignore feature at all, tbh) in XenForo 2.0, so I doubt it can be changed in XF1. Didn't find any add-on that alter the behaviour either, but that was just after a quick search on the official XenForo forums.

Matt E likes this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I think the add on 'advanced ignore user' from brivium puts a message where ignored content would be... i'm not 100% that it work on quotes (also that's a XF1 plug in so I'm not sure whether there'll be an XF2 version) - that add on also allows greater flexibility in what users ignore , so for example I think they could chose to ignore forum content without blocking conversations or vice versa

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, it would help if the 'ignored' designation came up within the context of the conversation on the thread, so at least a member would know that they are missing content, not misunderstanding content.

This is one of the reasons I never Ignore anybody. The few I've been tempted to Ignore have ended up being banned anyway, so I'm happy. If I don't like the way a thread is going, I just skim it, or skip it altogether. It works for me, but maybe not for everybody. To ignore with a small 'i' is less confusing than the big 'I.' But maybe less satisfying. :)

Nariac likes this.
  9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I wouldn't say I use Ignore as a way to find satisfaction - it's more a tool to help myself not rise to the bait of trolls!

jannert likes this.
  10. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I find it useful in not getting in to arguments with people who aren't trolls but with whom I strongly disagree on whatever topic … trolls will get banned in fairly short order anyway - I would like the ability to decide to ignore within a conversation since there are people who I generally respect and even like who in certain topics just flip all my switches and I theirs

However I realise that isn't likely unless its a core function of XF2 which it looks like it won't be

11. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Maybe you are ignoring too many people. Maybe need thicker skin?

matwoolf likes this.
  12. big soft moose

mind you during the ETB project I did find a thread where everyone involved had eventually been banned

Iain Aschendale and jannert like this.
  13. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I know it's not funny, but I'm laughing. Damn. Is that thread still here?

Iain Aschendale and matwoolf like this.
  14. big soft moose

I think wrey deleted it

15. ChickenFreak

I really don’t see a willingness to waste time with nonsense as evidence of thick skin. In me, I see it as a character flaw to overcome. I don’t call it a character flaw in others, but I know me.

16. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Also for the record I haven't ignored anyone, I was just joking. :p I thought that ought to be obvious, but some people take everything far too literally. :D

17. ChickenFreak

I figured you were. But I could imagine it happening.

Nariac likes this.