Quoting thoughts?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Jowettc, Feb 3, 2012.

1. K. A. Solo

K. A. Solo New Member

Greetings! I've been a lurker here for several weeks, absorbing information that has been invaluable (many thanks!), but this italics thing has thrown me for a bit of a loop. I don't have a problem changing my italicized inner thoughts back to regular text, but there are parts of my manuscript that are first-person recollections of historical events, and the rest of the story is in third person. What would be the best way for these critical sections to stand out as different, if I'm not using italics? Thank you again for this wonderful forum.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

all you need to do that is a line break or a chapter break... nothing fancier than that...

3. K. A. Solo

K. A. Solo New Member

So, if I'm understanding what others have stated in this thread, do regular text for just about all of your manuscript. It's when it becomes published that more intricate formatting can be done, depending on the publisher's likes and dislikes. I personally love to see italics in what others have written. It's just easier to understand what's going on, separating inner dialogue from what else is happening.

4. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

I am trying to provide a reliable source to questions, this one was tough.

http://www.helium.com/items/614947-fiction-writing-how-to-write-your-characters-thoughts
    The bolded part pretty much says it all.
    Quotes means they are saying it and you can't say thoughts but you can say what you were thinking.