Tags:
  1. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

Races and Monsters

Discussion in 'Research' started by Kitonie Bubblegum, Dec 14, 2017.

Hey there!

I'm looking for some websites that have detailed information about Fantasy races and monsters, if someone could help I'd really appreciate it. :) I hope you all are having a great day, happy writing! (even though it's fucking frustrating sometimes!!!!!)

2. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

I second that. :) But concerning your question: lot of the good sites about monsters and fantasy creatures, like Monstropedia and Monstrous, seems be gone, and that's a pretty big blow to us fantasy writers. Most of the websites I can find these days are frustratingly underdeveloped. I'm curious if anyone else has some advice on where we can find a good, full encyclopedia of this, but right now all I have is the boring and obvious answer: Wikipedia's list of legendary creatures and Fantasy Creatures. *sits down to await the wisdom of WF's research masters*

3. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

@crappycabbage I noticed that, the wikipedia one is okay, it doesn't have a lot of ideas that I can use and it's so frustrating! I will check out the fantasy creatures, I'm sure I've already checked it out though.

I have a really old Monster Manual I'm tempted to find but I probably have what I need from that anyways LOL.
    I think we'll be waiting a while. I guess I did post this during the day on a weekday. . . I have to remember, patience!!

While we are waiting, how are you cabbage?

4. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

Also, there is a race I've been thinking about, humanoid - snake? The halflings of them are complete humanoid but the true race is humanoid top, snake bottom. Does anyone know what they are called?

5. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I also found an amazing online encyclopedia that let you search by
    • Culture (Greek, Norse, Aborigine...)
    • Environment (Aquatic, Forests, Cities...)
    • Temperament (Benevolent, malicious, trickster...)
    But I can't find it anymore :(

Barring that, I've found that searching by one culture at a time tends to work pretty well "Best creatures from Japanese folklore" "Best creatures from African folklore" "Best creatures from Irish folklore"...

6. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

Yeah, where is everyone? :D Maybe busy wrapping presents. O, I'm feeling pretty good today because I finished my first revision on a fantasy novel. Yay! And right now I don't hate it, heh. That will change though. :) I hope you're having fun with your story, which I have to say sounds really interesting. How far along are you with that? Oh, hey, maybe you'll find your awesome snake creature here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hybrid_creatures_in_mythology

7. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

@Simpson17866 BLAH, someone is taking our fantasy resources! Thank you for the tip :)

@crappycabbage Oh, probably wrapping presents... lol.. having festivities....holiday stuff. That's awesome!! good job, that must have been hard and taken a lot of time. What is it about?
    Thanks, I am only working on the first and second short stories, mainly the first - it'll be like a series thing. A couple thousand words for each short story. I'm not done editing and revising the first one yet, but I'm working on that a bit today... so far I've edited one paragraph...I get distracted easily, even if I'm in a room full of silence, I can get distracted. It's terrible.

Simpson17866 and crappycabbage like this.
  8. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

The novel is about a wandering storyteller who seems to have a flair for getting cursed by her stories. It's just a fantasy adventure, very un-gritty. :) Oh, I'm really intrigued about the short story series-format, I love how people find their format based on how they enjoy to work, that is way cool. Do you know how many stories you'll write? What's it about, and how does the snake-human fit in? Yep, distractions are horrible and I'm also the "O, look! A thing!"-kind of person. I should be writing short stories too because of that, but novels are my one and true love. :D

9. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

@crappycabbage That sounds amazing!

I don't know how many stories I will write, too many to count on two hands. I'm sure it'll eventually turn into a novella series if I can keep this up. Novel's are scary for me, I've attempted a few and couldn't get past 20k words. I don't know why, it sort of makes me sad but I'm trying to work with myself instead of against.

It's about a fairy girl who is a key to this portal room and she has to get through a bunch of obstacles and training in order to unlock her powers because she's been raised and treated much differently than her race is normally treated.

I'm creating the race atm, because nothing I've found has fit her. It's fantasy / horror, so I'm going to have a lot of fun with it heheh. :3

what drew you to writing fantasy? :)

crappycabbage likes this.
  10. orangefire

orangefire Active Member

Well, you just described the D&D race Yuan-Ti.

11. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

@orangefire AHHHH thank you so much!! :)

12. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

@crappycabbage I realized I forgot to answer the Yuan-ti question ehhehehheheh.
    I don't know yet, I forget what kind of alignment they are naturally, I know I can change it whatever it is, I'd just like to know before I decide. I'd love to have a main character Yuan-ti... I love snakeys.

13. orangefire

orangefire Active Member

They're listed as being any evil alignment.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Yuan-ti might be a useful page if you're interested in them.

Not sure if you'd be able to actually call them Yuan-ti in a story. The name might be copyrighted, but I'm far from an expert on that.

14. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

Half-human half-snakes:

They're called naga. Or lamia. I think those are what yuan-ti are based on.

15. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

@orangefire Thanks so much, yeah I didn't think about that and sort of remembered them having an evil alignment, but...

@CoyoteKing Thank you! I will look those two up and see what I can technically use. :)

16. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

Sorry about the late reply. Got a different time-zone than most here, and I needed a few hours sleep. :) Short form is not at all a bad thing, I hear that shorter stuff is really taking off, publishing wise. Oh, I like your premise about a fairy who is a key, that is awesome! I hope you're successful with your snake-human, and wow, creating a fantasy race, that's really impressive. So far I've only tweaked existing ones. Yes, I'm a coward. :D I don't know why I write fantasy these days because I was a bit of an Adrian Mole when I was younger(=pretentious twat), but that changed later. Maybe because of Harry Potter, which was just so much fun! Not perfect books, but who wants perfect? I'd take enjoyable books over perfect any day of the week. :) Honestly, I'd be so bored writing contemporary stuff, and I don't like reading that stuff either. How about you? What drew you to fairies and the like?

17. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

Elder scrolls
    Warhammer
    World of Warcraft
    Lord of the Rings.
    DnD

These are the settings which, for the most part, define the fantasy genre. Have fun, and each of them have a somewhat unique take on creatures.

18. Kitonie Bubblegum

Kitonie Bubblegum Member

@crappycabbage
    It's no problem, I didn't see the notification for any responses to this thread. :x

Thanks! I love faaaaaaaaairies.
    I doubt you are a coward, it's my first time creating a race and it is so difficult. I haven't touched my info for a week, just been writing some other things and trying to take a break from it haha. It's scary and fun, I've never revised any races either... just used them as they were. It is necessary for me now though so I just gotta get it done.. lol.

I'm glad you've grown from those ways, I used to be a huge cunt to everyone and now I can control that better. I try to be a better person, you seem very nice and easy to talk to :) I didn't read harry potter books, I read others, Libba Bray was one author I really liked when I was in my late teens.

I haven't read as much as I'd like to, I'm working on that though and I've actually just read a Batman comic, year one. It was so good, I have three more to read. :)

I have always been obsessed with fantasy races and monsters, creatures, lore, mythology. I'd spend time in the school library looking up poetry books and lore books ahaha. I just gravitate towards it I guess. Fairies are especially interesting to me, and dragons.

@halisme Oh!! I didn't think about looking up some of those games, thank you so much! :)

19. crappycabbage

crappycabbage Member

Fairies are so much fun because we can make them anything we like. In my first novel, I did a back story where the fairy mother was a Valkyrie thrown down to earth. My fairies in that one were annoying and kinda creepy. They had some trope-y characteristics from the scandinavian folklore still in them though. But making up a whole race like you do, that's way cool.

Oh, hahaha! I think it's kinda normal to be a pain in the ass when we love stuff and get proud about it, it's one of those very human traits. Harry Potter changed me though because I had friends who talked crap about it! It was a real eye-opener, so now I kinda love that people have their own tastes, and that's all good. And you seem very nice too. :)

I've never read any Libba Bray, but I recognize her name which means I've thought about reading some of her books. They look very interesting. Batman on the other hand, oh! I'm not a comic book reader, but I love the movies and I think the show Gotham is a lot of fun. Batman has the best villains ever, imo. Very inspiring. And about the reading thing; whether it's movies or graphic novels or myths and legends, it teaches us about storytelling. Reading when you don't want to, that's a sure way of killing any future enjoyment of novels, so enjoy the Batman stories and I hope you get a lot of inspiration for your story when you continue that. :)