1. Spainglish

Spainglish Member

Rainy Days

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spainglish, May 24, 2020.

I find rainy days to be my most productive days.
    Something about the gray skies and drumming sound on the roof are extremely thought provoking.
    A gloomy day can bring me inner peace and make me smile or it can make me quite
    melancholy, regretful and provoke a feeling of lost. Either way, it inspires.

I'm curious. Does the weather affect your creativity?

ThunderAngel, Xoic, EFMingo and 2 others like this.
  2. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I like the SMELL of rain. Not sure about getting soaked though. I’ve had some bum umbrellas in the past. Then I made sure to get umbrellas that resist 60mph winds. It was all going well until I got caught in a small hurricane at an open space but the umbrella didn’t make it. I was soaked through and through.

Yes weather is very inspiring. Another reason rainy days are great is it gives you a great excuse to stay in. The sound on the window. Very nice. And the fresh scent of the air afterward. It’s like it’s been washed.

I write plenty of poems but I need to dedicate more of my creativity to writing stories. Especially since I have a fresh idea in my mind that I’ve only outlined. Even the rain has not inspired me to get on with that one though. I will one day. Yes.

ThunderAngel, EFMingo and Spainglish like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Sometimes I prefer a stormy, drizzly or overcast day to full blazing sunlight. But not too many in a row, like we've been getting around here lately. As both writer and visual artist I prefer the moody and atmospheric over the mundane. That includes snow and especially an ice storm over snow, which turns the world into a fairytale ice kingdom. Fog too. One of my favorite memories involves suddenly deciding to hit up Jack in the Box @ 3 in the morning in between intense storms in the summer a few years back (during one of my nocturnal phases). My dog got all excited and insisted on going along. My headlights were cutting through swirls of mist rising off the streets all the way, turning it into a journey through another world.

ThunderAngel, Some Guy and Spainglish like this.
  4. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Rainy weather has something of that effect on me. It settles me and opens me to creativity. Though, if I'm honest, I love venturing out into the rain; especially at night. I'm not entirely certain what happens within me during those times, but the night rain and I have some sort of special rapport. I've been told that I'm 'elemental' on such nights.

Some Guy, dbesim and Xoic like this.
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I've had ethereal weather experiences. My neighborhood, growing up, was in a low spot of the region, but only just. If you walked out my door on the right night, you'd come to an 'edge' where thick fog was held back by some guardian force. It looked like the edge of the world. You could step into it, and disappear! You could materialize out of it like a ghost! If you picked the right spot, you could wade into it like a lake and appear to be sinking into the ground as you were dragged away. If you found a lucky spot on the golf course, you could stroll beside or chase it as it withdrew, or flee as it tried to consume you, or let it catch you and swirl around you. As soon as it surrounded you would be soaked, it was so thick.
    And lightning! If a storm brings lightning, I have to go out in it and see it in the clouds all around me. :D
    Memories like those will affect everything I do in my life til I die. Thanks for this thread.

6. OctagonalPhantasm

OctagonalPhantasm Member

Interesting weather tends to distract me from creativity because I have to go outside and enjoy it. I'm that weirdo that goes for walks when it's storming, that stomps through puddles when it's raining, that chases rainbows and tries to get lost in the fog. Also, you won't find me indoors on a clear night with a full moon, regardless of air temperature.

I've tried to use some of my outdoor weather experiences in stories, but I think my inner romantic takes over, because they're always chock-full of flowery, purple prose and very little actual story. Shame I suck at poetry, really. It feels like right medium to...ahem...wax poetic about the scenery.

ThunderAngel likes this.
  7. Belenos

Belenos New Member

I love a good storm, but it isn't very good for my writing. I'm most creative while sitting in a sunny window.

ThunderAngel likes this.