1. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible

Random $4 pickup

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Aceldama, Jun 15, 2020.

Novel was written by an Italian Patriot during the Risorgimento of Italy. The author fought for Italian independence and had died two weeks before the unification of Italy. Just finished the introduction which was rich with a history of something I never thought twice to consider.

The novel itself is told by and 80 year old narrator recounting his life during this particularly turbulent political time for his country.

Gonna be a good read.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  2. Kenneth Jeffries

Kenneth Jeffries New Member

And this is interesting. You interested me. I already want to read this.

Aceldama likes this.
  3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Love the title. It looks fascinating.

Aceldama likes this.
  4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I've never heard of it, but it sounds very interesting. From the Wiki page, it looks like Nievo never found a publisher for this work, and it wasn't published until six years after his death. It's also a shame he died so young.

This seems like a great find, especially for $4. You'll have to tell us how you like it.

Aceldama likes this.
  5. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    Finished the first chapter tonight at 42 pages. Took me awhile as im in two other novels as well. It really is quite good already though. The first chapter was sort of an introduction to some of the politics and laws of the time and what they were reformed from (with some interesting stories) and a recap on the narrators early childhood at the castle of Fratta.

There are the introductions to the characters too and it's apparent it's going to be a very character central book. There are many already and they all had their stories. Very charming.