1. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Free to good home plots

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by yagr, Jan 16, 2012.

Is there a location on this site, or any interest, where one can give plots away? I have a storyline I'd love to see in book form but I will never write the story. I simply won't live long enough to get that far down my priority list but nevertheless think it would be a shame to see the idea disappear.

2. miss sunhine

miss sunhine New Member

I don't know of any, but then i've never researched it.
    Just try offering them on Writing Sites, some new writers who want experience but can't come up with ideas might takes it.
    Tell me what the stories about, maybe i'll have a go for you if it's my thing.
    xxx

3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What's the storyline? It may fit some of my characters who are floating around plot-less.

4. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

share the idea with us ;)

5. Link the Writer

Just be ready to have us fight like jackals over your plot. :p lol, j/k.

Seriously, share. One of us shall work on it.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

put it up on ebay ;)

7. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Oh fantastic!

I don't have much time before I have to go (making lunch for the elders and off to the vet for puppies second round of shots) but here is the abridged version. The premise is based on an unscientific poll I took in college. I went to the common area and asked a question to the first 50 men and the first 50 women. Too, social pendulums tend to shoot wide when they correct themselves. Men's frustration at divorce laws favoring (in their opinion perhaps) women, child custody and support laws, sexual harrassment lawsuits etc. were often cited for their answer to my question. Here was the question:

If advances to artificial intelligence and virtual reality got to a point where you could buy the software for a virtual girlfriend or boyfriend, would you? Forty-eight of fifty men said yes; forty-seven of fifty women said no. An idea was born.

Assuming appropriate advances some time in a near future, men begin to 'buy' a relationship through software. Further advances allow for upgrades or re-writing of programs to customize. Leaving their home for work, their 'gf or spouse' could call them at work through the computer, etc. Pregnancy programs could be added, children, pets, etc. Since the idea resonates with men much moreso than women, men are dropping out of the 'eligible' pool rapidly. Fact is, many men strive for power, money and prestige in an effort to 'get' or 'win' a woman. With the woman of their dreams bought and paid for, they began to pull back from the rat race. Nature abhors a vacuum and women rushed to fill the holes of CEO's, politicians, etc. that were available as men lost interest in anything other than spending all their available time with their fantasy gf, spouse or family in their virtual world.

The social paradigm gets turned on its head. Women are turning to male prostitutes for physical affection. A 'real' trophy man that she is in a relationship with. Women lavishing gifts upon the men in an effort to 'win' them. Every kiss may begin with Kay (jewelry ad for those unfamiliar with it) but now it's the women buying gifts and jewelry for him. Eventually, successfully gotten most of the power on the planet and tired of the game, women seek to outlaw such software under the guise of danger to the race through underpopulation. The men, who have become socially lazy, now seeing their 'families' threatened... well, the sleeping giant awakes and there is a new gender war which can easily lead to a second book.

It's a really quick outline obviously and I left a lot of ideas out (and probably didn't explain it very well rushing like I am) but a gender-based dystopia seems like it would hit alot of nerves and create some interest.

8. Link the Writer

Very intriguing!! A dystopian gender society? Intriguing.

Yes, someone needs to write this!!

9. SunnyDays

SunnyDays New Member

Wow I love the research that you did. I hate the truth in it of course.
    I believe the stats are true, take Lars and the Real girl for example.
    I think this would be a fun story to write.

10. Corgz

Corgz New Member

I have a catergory on my forum that is exactly for free to good home plots...
    thecreativefactory.forumotion.com
    Just join and scroll down a bit :)

11. Corgz

Corgz New Member

Meow

12. cari_za

cari_za New Member

Possibly, or the number of lesbians in the world will suddenly spike ;)

13. abbigailrosewood

abbigailrosewood New Member

Wow I love the idea. I don't write distopian but it's intriguing enough for me to want to try. Either way, I hope somebody takes up the challenge. I would love to read it!

14. Link the Writer

When you say gender war, do you mean a literal war where men and women are fighting each other or what?

I'm just curious. 8]

Still, it's intriguing enough for me to want to try as well. Though my setting of the story might be different from your setting. (I was thinking it could be set in 2241 France or something. :p)

15. LaGs

LaGs Banned

You've forgotten the muslims...HOW COULD YOU FORGET THE MUSLIMS? :p

As you may know, muslims aren't just restricted to one wife. Suppose a muslim entertains your idea and gets himself a new robot wife, what does he then do? What if he is poverty-stricken and he can only afford one? His family could be a mixture of the two and this could lead to whole new robot-human tensions. His real wives would be found sneaking up into his bed at night and tearing out circuit boards and such out of pure jealousy. This could lead to a spike in domestic violence, as angry husbands who have spent loads of money on a new robot take out their frustration on their human wives.

16. yagr

yagr Senior Member

Link,

I actually hadn't gotten that far (i.e. literal war or not) left that open to see where the story would take me. I'm new to the whole creative writing thing (though not to the ideas) and am not sure if there is a prescribed manner to writing a story, but as I think the stories through I often find that I need to 'meet' the characters that I have dreamed up, see how they develop to know ultimately where they will go. I certainly envisioned conflict, but without knowing the MC's, I don't know what form that conflict would take, you know?

France seems a ripe location for such an idea actually.

17. Link the Writer

I love the idea of the setting being in France.

Me neither. I guess maybe a verbal war, I guess?

<GASP>

Maybe espionage? The women and a few sympathetic men try to sabatoge the factory that produces these AI women and...um...

Meditate on this, I must.

EDIT: BACK after a quick meditation. I think a good year for this would be 2154 AD. Maybe either in Paris, France or in a village few miles south of Paris. Nah, it's Paris all da way, baby!!

Maybe the president of France supports this or...hmm...well HE is likely doing the AI marriage thing while his wife's running the country or something.

Maybe some men don't agree. In your poll, not every single man agreed with the question, so maybe in the story, some men think this whole thing is bad and fight back?

Just like some of the women DO agree with the thing. Out of the fifty women you interviewed, forty-seven said no, leaving three women who were either neutral or wholly supporting the thing. That could add some middle grey area there. It's not just a conflict of ALL MEN vs. ALL WOMEN. Some men and women agree with this thing, others do not.

Um...I'm thinking espionage and spy stuff for this thing.

Like LaGas said, there might be a spike of domesticated violence in that some husbands decide to abuse their wives, possibly even KILL them because to them, their real wives were the AI women and their human wives were just the crazy <beeps> who killed them.