Tags:
  1. Chef Dave

Chef Dave New Member

Site Protocol for Sharing Additional Excerpts?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Chef Dave, Aug 3, 2008.

What is the protocol at this site for sharing additional excerpts from a chapter or novel?

Do we post each excerpt to a different thread or do we post follow up excerpts to the same thread?

I've noticed that one thread has several different chapters and a prologue. I added a comment about the prologue ... but this comment appeared after chapter eight.

Speaking for myself, I would find it confusing having to sort different replies for different excepts if everything was jumbled together in one thread.

Is there a formal or informal policy about we should post multiple excerpts?

2. Titania

Titania New Member

This is just from my experience on the site (I don't know any official rule...), but I believe you're supposed to put all excerpts or chapters in one thread. In fact, I believe one of the moderators will likely merge your threads together if you create more than one (which makes even more of a mess, so it is best to start out with all the pieces in one place rather than fixing it later).

Hope that helps :) and welcome to the site, by the way. Hope you're enjoying it here.

3. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

We just feel that it is best if all posts to do with one particular piece should be put into one thread, that way no one's work is being pushed ten pages to the back of the forum. I know it can cause hassles for getting further review, and causing more time to find reviews and where the exactly relate to in a particular thread, but it does make things neater in the forum and that way everyone gets a review and doesn't get pushed to the back pages.

4. Scribe Rewan

Scribe Rewan New Member

What Titania and Torana said. Just make sure you let people review each peice thoroughly before you post the next peice, otherwise as you indicated yourself, peoples reviews of the first peice would be posted after chapter 8, so lots of people wouldnt bother.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As has already been said, revisions and additional installments of the same work should be appended to the same thread. That way, reviewers (and the writer!) can see the progress in the writing resulting from the feedback and revision process. For that reason, it is also preferable to post revisions as new posts in the same thread, rather than editing the initial excerpt in place. Also, editing it in place may make it so some of the review comments don't make sense to someone reading the thread later.

Remember, review threads are public for a reason. The entire procsess - write, review, revise - is instructive for everyone involved to observe. A wise man learns from his mistakes, but a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

As a reviewer, it's a good idea to examine the rest of the thread for later revisions so as not waste time covering things that have alreasdy been addressed or have vanished in revision. If you review an earlier installment, then you can simply mention that - I oftern review the opening segment evcen when later ones have been posted, because beginnings are so very important.