Random Thought Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin Phillips, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iowawriter

iowawriter Senior Member

Teachers come back to work tomorrow so today kind of marks the end of summer working at the high school garden. I can still come here at night and weekends to write, but won't feel comfortable being here during weekdays. Not with the teachers around and certainly not with classes in session starting on the 24th.

I've really enjoyed writing here. The garden has brought me much happiness this summer.

jim onion and Rzero like this.
  2. jim onion

jim onion New Member

If the Scooby-Doo characters were originally designed by Iwao Takamoto, then I've been a weeb all my life. I was just so far in the closet that I was in Narnia.

I'm drunk.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

I saw a solitary purple cloud in a clear blue sky. I've never seen one of those before.

OurJud and Rzero like this.
  4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I'm now almost done rewatching the Star Wars full series and I can't help thinking just how fucking awful this whole thing is. Okay, okay, Rogue One and Solo are semi okay, and Empire Strikes Back is tolerable, but man, Return of the Jedi is as bad or worse that the prequel trilogy. This is pain.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  5. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Solo I accidentally saw when s bottle of Wild Turkey left me incapable of reaching the remote but still conscious. Kinda like those people who are awake but unresponsive during major surgery...

EFMingo likes this.
  6. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

You write poetry even when you’re not trying :)

7. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

It was a poetic thing. . . the beginnings of a normal sunset--orange cirrus clouds in the middle sky and below that to the horizon blue sky. And in the middle, many many miles away, there was a dark plum-colored cloud hanging all by itself. It was really singular.

OurJud likes this.
  8. EFMingo

Cirrus clouds always make the best brushstrokes on the sky. Easiest water color painting because it's literally an exact imitation.

9. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I found an isolated piece from a jigsaw puzzle and thought it was kind of sad I'd never know the puzzle it was from. And then I wondered how the piece would feel, condemned to wander through existence, never having any idea where it would fit in.

OK, it's late night and I can't sleep, so forgive me.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  10. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    My wife follows Tom Hanks on Twitter. He likes to take pictures of lost, lone shoes and gloves.

Rzero likes this.
  11. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Active Member

I was honestly surprised to read this. Most fans worship the original trilogy including Return of the Jedi. It's quite a banger of an end to that trilogy. It's the new trilogy (Episodes VII, VIII and IX) that are usually reviewed as the most cringe-worthy installments in the Star Wars franchise. Have you not seen those? Not only do they violate previously established Star Wars canon in sooo many different ways, but the whole concept behind the conflict of the movie just lacks any originality. At least the prequel trilogy conceptually was a great backstory to the original trilogy in terms of what the movie even existed for - it had a really well defined purpose.

Rzero likes this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    I was (counts on fingers) about six when the first Star Wars movie came out. No matter how many flaws I can see in it now, I was smack dab in the target market. Had t-shirts, a lunch box, bedsheets, a TIE fighter with R2-D2 to fly it (I dunno). Too young to geek over it too, so I don't get into the whole "Leia shot first" debate :)

I was just as excited when the prequels started to come out and boy was that a crash. I'm pretty sure I've skipped a couple of the new ones, the series is dead to me now.

EFMingo likes this.
  13. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

I was able to enjoy the sequel trilogy for what it is, because I gave up on the franchise the second Disney declared all seventy of the books I've read non-canon. Everything they've done since is shameful but fun enough to watch at least once. Abandoning all expectations and accepting that Disney has no respect for the original material before walking into the theater was freeing. They're not actually bad movies; they're just heretical abominations. That's why people hate them. It's not the quality; it's the disrespect shown to the franchise and fans.

Besides, all the fanboy energy I have left these days is wrapped up in the MCU anyway.

PaperandPencil likes this.
  14. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    This invites (not "begs") the question of why you continue to watch? It took me a long time to realize that simply because I had invested some time in reading a book I didn't like, I have no obligation to spend more time reading it to the end. Life is too short for that, IMHO

15. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Rogue One is my favorite of all of the Star Wars films. Not just because Daddy Mads is in it, but the story is great and people actually die in the fight. None of this "save the main characters" nonsense.

Have a good day everyone! Or as good a day as you can.

16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Rogue One, Hamlet, On the Beach, whatever works... :)

Dogberry's Watch and EFMingo like this.
  17. EFMingo

The prequel trilogy I think is the definition of cringe-worthy. Too much reliance on bad CGI when they used to have such good modeling and puppetry from the first set. And the acting and script were just painful. It was hard to rewatch them since I hadn't since I was a kid. I didn't care much for them then and they had cool stuff, but now it's really difficult to get through.

Disney also only has the remastered versions of the original trilogy on Disney+ with all the stupid CGI'd in nonsense that just looks visually wrong with its smoothness amidst the original film quality. I've seen them a few times, but it gets worse every time I watch it. But I tend to give them a lot more leeway because they paved the way for a lot more. Return of the Jedi though is just awful, no way around it.

I did see the new trilogy and I think they are mostly just okay. Kind of flat if I'm being honest, but tolerable films. They at least found a tone and stuck to it mostly. The ridiculous logical fallacies seemed a lot less here and it made them tolerable films for me. They negate the whole concept of the previous trilogies, but I'm not entirely bothered by that. I do wished they used Luke a lot better though.

The prequel trilogy and the remasters were coming out in theaters when I was real young and at the first prequel and remaster I remember loving. But their quality degraded to me when I got slightly older and the others came out. Then on a rewatch they all went downhill for me. But I did have the model rocket set of most the ships from The Phantom Menace!

That would be a terrible betrayal. I think they wanted a consolidation though for ease of writing and continuity. Some of those authors in that series are breakers of the directions simply because they don't read (I'm talking about you Karen Traviss). I think it was just that much less time consuming and expensive for them to just hit the reset and just pull from a few key items rather than an expanded universe. A painful one, but a smart business decision nonetheless.

I get what you mean, but in all honesty, it wasn't my turn to pick a movie series...

Mine too and the reason being is it felt the most believable of the entire series. All that massive effort and considerable failings just to get a piece of information out about the Death Star. That makes sense. My problem with it is that Disney seems a bit off in tone, making the entire film give kind of a flat feeling, and I think some of the actors really lack presence, but overall I mostly enjoyed it.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
  18. GrahamLewis

Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    Not sure where to put this, but how in Hell did I get this far along in life without reading any Charles Bukowski? I just came across Ham on Rye on my Audible feed. I'm now beginning to feel my literary life is, if not nearing completion, is much further along. What stark and powerful writing. Damn. IMHO I must add, though I really believe it.

19. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, he's a bit of a shocker. Lots of spiritual connections to Henry Miller and Hunter S. Thompson as well, although I don't know if any of them read the earlier works.

EFMingo likes this.
  20. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

Some of Bukowski is overrated, but I like him very much.

21. Historical Science

Historical Science Contributor Contributor

I'm tired.

22. PaperandPencil

PaperandPencil Active Member

I guess I must not be a very critical viewer because for a while back when I had Disney+ I watched the CGI cartoon show "Star Wars: Clone Wars" which, looking back at it, was nothing but pulp. Although I did enjoy them at the time. They had 'thought of the day' quotes that started out each episode with a nugget of wisdom from the Star Wars universe.

EFMingo likes this.
  23. EFMingo

I don't mind when the entire thing is CGI, just hate overlay.

Star Wars is pretty good in it's shows though. I do like some of the Clone Wars animated series and The Mandalorian isn't bad either.

PaperandPencil likes this.
  24. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Coke and peanut butter sure taste great together.

25. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

As in cola or...

Dogberry's Watch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.