1. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Raskolnikov and the Extraordinary

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Teladan, Aug 19, 2018.

Hello. First off, I've just reached part 4, so no spoilers, please. Spoilers ahead for people who haven't read the book...

I've been wondering throughout Crime and Punishment why, if Rodya wanted to carry out his plan in pursuit of his 'noble' theory, he immediately stashed the loot away? By my understanding he wanted to kill the pawnbroker to rid the world of her and then distribute the wealth. But he doesn't do that. The death is completely pointless. He didn't even attempt to do anything other than hide the pledges and whatnot. Of course, he hides it because he's worried he'll get caught, but if he was doing the murder for a specific goal why didn't he at least try to sell the goods to alleviate his debt and help his parents? That'd arouse suspicion, I suppose. It just seems odd to me that he went through all of this for essentially no reason. Am I missing something?

Harmonices likes this.
  2. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

I think that's kind of the point. Raskolnicokov isn't the great noble hero he imagines himself to be. In fact his "plan" is stupid. He's a bungling idiot with no idea of what he's really doing, no wonder he gets busted. Don't believe the self-hype.