Tags:
  1. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Rating your book

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Thundair, Jun 1, 2019.

Is there a way to rate your book?
    I want to say it's PG13 but I don't know if that means anything to self publish for YA.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

when you self publish to amazon you can select an age rating on the upload screen - I right adult so i usually just select 18 plus... off the top of my head i don't think the rating is available on kobo, ibooks etc

You could also put something in the blurb - but its best to stick will appeal to ages xx and up... rather than using terms like PG which don't translate well across national boundaries

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I think you're probably safe with YA since it means young adult. I would call that a PG13 rating. The last YA book I read was The Fault in Our Stars. I don't read too much YA, but that's a great book. When it was turned into a movie I believe it had a PG13 rating. Although the book was better than the movie, which is often the case, I think both the YA and PG13 rating was appropriate for that story. So, I think you would be safe calling the book YA for attracting the right audience and readership.

Cave Troll and Thundair like this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Yeah I would say YA is fine for you.

I have to go for the Hard R. :p

Thundair likes this.
  5. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

No there isn't, and no it doesn't mean anything. That's a film classification system and meets specific criteria regarding content, and is assigned by a governing body. So unless you're an official governing body, your rating is completely meaningless. ( and even if there were a classification system for books, you would not be allowed to give your own rating. Just like you can't give yourself a driver's license.)

It's best just to classify the market genre, like YA, Lit Fic etc.

Alan Aspie and Thundair like this.