1. Mish

Mish Senior Member

Greetings travelers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mish, Jun 12, 2019.

Greetings travelers,

I am an amateur, science fiction short story writer from Australia, looking for guidance... And feedback... And support... And friends. This seems like a friendly place, so I am looking forward to getting to know you all during the course of our journey together.

Kind Regards,
    Mish

marshipan likes this.
  2. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forums! Lots of knowledgeable and friendly folks here so I'm sure you'll find what you need.

See you around the place
    NC

Mish likes this.
  3. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Hello Mish.

This is exactly the right place.

We guide you to wrong, but interesting paths. Feedback? That's what happens when you put mics too near loudspeakers? Support? Is it food? Friends? Mainly twisted and peculiar ones - which is good.

Mish likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Mish! I've been a tad busy over the past few days, but I've been intending to welcome you to the forum. I'm one of the moderators here (newly-promoted, although I've been an active member since early 2013.)

This is an excellent place to exchange ideas about writing. It's also a good place to make online friends, which you will do as you get to know us and the forum better. Please feel free to explore around. All of the menu tags at the top of the page have LOTS hidden behind them, which can help you find the areas of the forum where you want to spend time, as well as allowing you to bypass the areas that you're not particularly interested in following.

For starters, check out the links at the bottom of this message.

The New Members Start Guide is particularly important if you plan to put some of your own work up for feedback. Our Workshop area is one of the most popular parts of the forum, and getting feedback is one of the major reasons new members join our forum. However, not only is the Workshop the ONLY area of the forum where you can put your work for critique (other than a critique of blurbs and query letters in the Publishing section) but there are a few requirements that a new member must meet before they are allowed (by the forum software) to start threads in the Workshop.

There is also one major requirement that is in place for the entire time you are a member here ...the 2/1 ratio for critiques/feedback. In other words, for every piece you put up for feedback, you need to do two full critiques for other members' work. This is so nobody can join the forum JUST to get feedback, and then vanish till they need more feedback.

When you click on any section,of the forum (such as Character Development, Research, etc) you may find 'sticky threads' that explain the purpose of that section. It's a good idea to read these stickies before posting threads in that section

If you go to the Information tab at the top of the page, and scroll down to FAQs, you will find a wealth of information that might be helpful for you. If you have any particular questions or encounter any problems, please feel free to 'start a conversation' with me, by clicking on my owl avatar and going from there.

Anyway, check out these links below. Have fun, make friends. And again, welcome. :)

Cheers, Jan

New Member Quick Start
    Forum Rules
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/staff.68/

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Mish likes this.
  5. Mish

Mish Senior Member

Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for welcoming me to the forum, I appreciate it!

I have read the rules already and I am happy with the 2/1 ratio, I think it is a good countermeasure to keep things fair.

On that note, I wanted to ask what qualifies as a "full critique"? For example, I have given someone a critique in this thread does this qualify as a "full critique"? (i.e. not a half full critique or a snack size critique?)

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/far-flung-a-sci-fi-novel-first-1262-words.162644/

Also, is there some kind of a "Critique O'meter" I can check somewhere? Suppose for instance that I would like my fourth piece of writing to be reviewed by members, but in reality I have only given out seven and a half critiques myself, is there a place I can quickly check on how many critiques I have doled out before I proceed?