1. Nomad416

Nomad416 Member

Any Grammarly users here?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Nomad416, Oct 8, 2023.

If so, can somebody tell me what the yellow underline means? I can't find an answer to this anywhere.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

'Anywhere' include Google?

3. Nomad416

Nomad416 Member

Yes, it does.

4. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I don't really use it. Well, I have in the past and I installed it again just to see what you were talking about because there's all sorts of conflicting info online.

Whenever I get a yellow underline it's linked to extra features. It seems to be a way to lead you into buying the premium version.

ps102 and PiP like this.
  5. trevorD

trevorD Senior Member

The yellow underlines are sentences it thinks you could change grammatically. It's part of its premium service I think. I use Grammarly to catch the faux pas and make the obvious suggestions. After that, I like my own voice and writing style, not what it thinks i need. Have faith in your own writing skills, trust me.

Xoic likes this.
  6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

This is true of course for any spelling/grammar checker. They're designed for formal writing like essays etc, and not really for fiction where style is much more of a thing. We often break the rules of strict grammar for effect, and a computer doesn't understand that. So you need to keep in mind when it makes suggestions it doesn't understand what you're doing or why you want to break those rules. I would go ahead and use one, but mostly just for spelling. When you're playing fast and loose with grammar or syntax ignore it.

7. Xoic

Or... if you're maybe still learning the more advanced aspects of grammar and syntax etc, maybe pay attention to it, but click on through and check the rules. What I mean is, if it highlights something as wrong and makesa suggestion, don't just accept the suggestion, type your question into a search engine and find a website that explains the rule. For instance search 'rules for apostrophes' and take the opportuniuty to learn more about them. Most of us learned everything we know about grammar and syntax in grade school, have forgotten most of that, and just proceeed without ever supplementing that very basic education. But if you want to become a writer, this stuff is your bread and butter, you want to learn as much about it as you can. Well, depending on your level of commitment I guess. But if you want to hit the higher levels, use it as a chance for some self education. I did a lot of this for a good long time when I first got here (though I know I could learn some more, and have forgotten some of what I learned then to boot).

I bought myself a style guide book called The Gregg Reference Manual (sort of a poor-man's version of the famed and very expensive Chicago Manual Of Style (CMoS). I kept it on my desk every day and would check it frequently, in fact I used to sometimes just go through it randomly and read whatever caught my eye for like a half hour each day before I'd start writing.

ps102 and PiP like this.
  8. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

This is a good idea. I invested in Grammarly Premium a few months ago and like you, I often follow through on some of the suggested edits to check out the rules. Especially when some of the suggestions do not make sense... at least to me LoL

9. lata chaudhary

lata chaudhary New Member

Incomplete sentences and rewrites...

Xoic likes this.
  10. Xoic

This is an incomplete sentence—rewrite it!! :supertongue: :supergrin:

11. Amontillado

Amontillado Senior Member

This!

Oh, wait, sorry. I don't use Grammerly. I didn't realize This is an incomplete sentence.