Tags:
  1. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Re-writing plot lines

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CrimsonAngel, Nov 16, 2020.

I was wondering do writers outline their plots by re-writing them? I tried doing that but I figured it would be a waste of time because I had already wrote the outline. But in retrospect would that make a story better if went back to the drawing board making sure you didn't miss anything?

2. LucyAshworth

LucyAshworth Active Member

Sometimes I do that. I'm on Lucifer_story_outine_draft_15.docx. And that's just history. Who knows how many were in between saves and prehistory.

Sometimes when things are a gigantic mess, I make a new file and start all over, which forces me to update my paper with only the newest most pertinent vision in my head, shaving away all scraps in the margins and excess details and imagery that should be added later. I write down only the essence.

What seems to the problem, Dear Crimson?

3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't use outlines, but, still, multiple drafts of an outline seem a bit excessive. I think when it comes to rewriting working in the actual writing of the story is probably a better use of time.

Lifeline likes this.
  4. LucyAshworth

Fair enough. I have a fascination and respect for people who can feel and improvise. I find it difficult to continue unless I have absolutely every aspect planned out.

5. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

Good stories take time to write. Nothing is a waste of time in my opinion, if it leads to a better story.

After I have written a first draft, I will go in and chart it with Excel for things such as character intensity, plot points, and other elements and see where it stands.

Lifeline likes this.
  6. LucyAshworth

This Excel thing is a new idea for me. I've never heard of it before coming here. I've actually taken to going into Adobe Illustrator to make a spiderweb. I wish I could have a real cork board with red string and thumbtacks.

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  7. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I do get you, but the danger here is to loose yourself in the outline and never get to actual writing the story.

Take your time. If you're not sure of the outline for a specific chapter, by all means go rewrite the outline, or get to writing another chapter that you're more sure of. But always keep in mind that outlining isn't what you set out to do. Bottom line, you want to write a story.

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  8. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't think the time it takes to write a story is a real indication of how good it is. Some of my best stories have been written the fastest. I get the writers work differently, but you have to be careful that all this planning and plotting isn't just a form of procrastination.

9. LucyAshworth

I'm writing several stories all at once, all intersecting and supporting a greater symphony. Each one is enough to stand on its own. It's taking time.

10. DriedPen

DriedPen Member

There is two mindsets here...a person can sit down and write, and then later revise and edit heavily the story they wrote, or they can plot out their story from the onset with a better outline, setting and characterization, and crank out a story or novel that needs less editing when they do sit down to write..

I try an do the latter. To me it is more enjoyable to write when I have done the research and know the characters inside and out. I do not have to pause and think, 'what would my character do in this spot." I just keep banging on keys. For the most part, when I sit down to write a story, the whole thing is already written in my mind.

11. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

Seems like some pretty good answers. Though what is troubling me is the fact that my story always needs to be drafted and when I outline I feel it needs to be re-written or cut out.

12. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

But rewriting doesn't necessarily lead to a better story if you're just meandering through the woods without a map, so to speak. What blocked you before, unless you got some proper help, will block you again no matter how many times you rewrite it. Chances are with enough trial and error, you'll learn, eventually, but how much time do you wanna spend on this, you know?

So, rewriting is good, but please first identify what stopped you from finishing the first time and seek proper help :) Whether that's by asking someone more experienced than you, reading a book on plotting, taking a creative writing course, or hiring an editor. I opt for the buy a book option: affordable, unlike an editor, and more focused/tailored than taking a course, but by having been vetted by publishers and probably bought through recommendations, it'll likely be more solid in its teaching than simply asking a friend. Best of all the worlds.

CrimsonAngel likes this.
  13. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I tend to plan to a certain point, write and let the writing lead me where it wants so it can grow organically, revisit the plan and see where it deviated, re-plan accordingly. There will be certain plot points you won't want to change, and others that don't matter quite as much. Planning simply allows you to make sure the structure is solid and to give you a milestone to write towards. Adjusting the plan is part of the process. Also, in my experience, if nothing changes from the outline, I get bored...

CrimsonAngel likes this.