1. Dawnbreaker

Dawnbreaker New Member

Novel Reach the finish line!

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Dawnbreaker, Jul 17, 2020.

Probably a question as old as writing itself -- how do you manage the push to finish your novel? I don't know if it's a discipline problem or an outlining problem or what...but I'm finding myself uninspired to complete my novel. I can see the forest, but not the trees, I think. I know the end-game, but I can't bring the scenes together to get me to that end.

If I can push passed the next handful of scenes I think I can reach the finish line, but nothing I'm doing works. Any suggestions? :( Help, please!

2. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

The finish line of completing your first draft isn't much as a finish line as it's also the start line of the next phase of comprehensive editing. You don't have to write the scenes in the order in which they will appear in your novel so if you have a clear idea of how the story ends, you can write that now. Writing the story climax scene early has the advantage that it gives you a clear idea of where you're heading and what you need to include in order to lead up to it. Also, this scene is likely not to be the last one in the novel as you may want to explain something of the aftermath of what happened and how it affected the character's lives. Writing these scenes early will also help.

3. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

What's the alternative to pushing past whatever is the current problem?

Not finishing your story.

Can you stand this thought? If not, get writing. If yes, there are lots more interesting/fun stuff to do.

I might sound annoyed—I am, but not at you. I'm disgruntled at my former self that'd also thought that stuff I'd have liked to happen would just happen without me doing something to make it happen. Of course things will get difficult; they always will. Anything worth doing is hard. Just think of the glory when you persevere.

See it as the proverbial friendly kick in the backside :bigwink:.

4. Auspere

Auspere New Member

The remaining part of the novel should be as inspirational to you as what you have written, so perhaps there is something you can do to inspire you?

Maybe you could have a plot twist or sub-plot, a new location or introduce a new character that will help work towards that end?

Steve Rivers and Dawnbreaker like this.
  5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Usually it means something isn't working, or perhaps whatever you have lined up simply doesn't inspire you or you don't find it interesting. Usually it's your gut telling you something is wrong.

As for how to push yourself to the finish line: outlining, rethinking how things could work, discussing it with a trusted friend, as well as sheer discipline can all help. Ultimately, sheer discipline, as well as knowing your end game is really what the end game should be, need to come hand in hand with getting you to the finish line.

I'm having the same trouble right now. I stare at the screen blankly and listen to a lot of youtube concerts, then I stay up till 1am not having written anything. However I have written my query and logline instead. However I am still putting in roughly 1000 words a day going like this. At my peak I've done 8k in a week. At my lowest probably 1-3k a week. It really is just sheer discipline: Do you want this finished or not? 'Cause no one gonna write it for you! It helps in my case that I'm starting a full-time job in Sep and right now it's the summer holidays - I have no work. So I'm like, I need to use this time now before I no longer have time. Keeps me tapping away. Sometimes, not having "enough" time actually means you have "more" time in a sense, because you make sure you stay productive rather than waste the day thinking, "There's always tomorrow."

Keep at it! :cheerleader:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
    Lifeline and Dawnbreaker like this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You could try writing the end chapter a little early, if you're pretty sure you know what the ending will be. Once you get the ending written, it might be easier to go back and fill in the scenes leading up to it.

I've discovered that parts of the story that drag while you're writing them are often actually not needed at all. Subconsciously you're dragging anchor. Just skip over that bit. Start up again, further into the story, wherever you feel energised and excited again. Keep working this way. When you're finally done, you can look back and fill in those gaps if they still need to be filled ...either with a transition, or a more fully realised scene or chapter. Because you know where you're headed, it's easier to include only what's actually needed to keep the story on track. You won't get sidetracked or bogged down at this stage.

Lifeline and Dawnbreaker like this.
  7. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

It all comes down to discipline. We don't need inspiration to write. Relying on something is just setting yourself up for failure or at least stacking the deck against you. I forget who said it, but I mentioned the quote and writer before in this forum. He basically says routine is a much better friend to a writer than inspiration. On top of inspiration being unpredictable, it can often feel present at inconvenient times. A routine puts you in control. Once in a routine you'll realize you don't need and shouldn't wait for any sort of spark to make you get to work. With discipline every story can get finished. Without it... Well, I've found it makes things harder and I fall more behind than I need to.

8. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

What has helped me was being more concerned about finishing, moving forward, than the current quality. You have to let go of some expectations to move forward.

Some days you just have to sit and write crap. No amount of waiting around has ever helped me scribble out something I was struggling with. Get the first crap down, then improve it. That's what works.

9. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I get what you are saying, it can feel like you are running out of road and room. It is somewhat imminent and has a finality about it. I treat it as a phase, repackage it if you like, call it what you will but don't feel crowded or panicked. It helps just to relax and enjoy it. Avoid putting any unnecessary pressure on your self. You have a bunch of great advice from the others here.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  10. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Discipline. Dedicate a specific day(s) to writing it. Write it on notepaper and stick it over your monitor, forcing you to notice it. Buy yourself a big piece of cake and leave it in the kitchen, saying "Im not touching it until Ive written this scene." Find a way to motivate yourself. Then sit down. Say to yourself "I dont care if this is crap, I can re-write it later. I am going to write for the next hour/2/3/whatevs." And write. No. Matter. What. ......Force Yourself. You need willpower to write and you have to prove to yourself that you have it.

The worst thing is not writing it. Even if it is crap and you're not "feeling it" having it on the page then gives you a crappy piece of sloppy clay in which to mold. Even if you hate 100% of it afterwards, you then did something invaluable - you made something that helps you identify what you don't like about it, and have a basis from which to change it to something you -do- like.

Information is the prize commodity here, and that is words on a screen.

We can all say words in these posts and give ideas, but, at the end of the day, no amount of suggestions here will do you any good. It comes down to you, your willpower, and your determination to get those words down on the page.

Are you determined to finish your book? Yes? Then prove it. Not to us - to yourself.

11. Senko

Senko Member

That sounds interesting.

12. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

Homer Potvin likes this.
  13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

AntPoems likes this.