1. Nighthunter

Nighthunter Member

Flawed Main Character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Nighthunter, Dec 18, 2011.

Hello there!

I have a small question,
    Currently my main character in the book i am working on has a few major personality flaws when we start to get to know him. He is a bit arrogant and egotistical, and this goes on for a bit - showing how he acts and what he does. Funny thing was that it was the plan for him, but it came natural when i wrote him that he should be this way. But one thing i have is another persons PoV that builds him up as the bad guy through rumors and such. I dont know if that can be forgotten ^^

What i would like to know is if anyone else has encountered this?
    Also, do you think readers would be able to follow his transformation to the better or will they continue to hate him should they not agree with him at the start?

Sincerely, Night

2. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

The really boring thing would be a flawless main character. Flaws tend to resonate with the audience. An insufferable arrogant person who has severe blind spots is amusing, an insufferable arrogant person who never fails is irritating.