1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

read a book and got disapointed with it?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Cacian, Jan 26, 2012.

share it here and say why
    There are many I found start off well but as you get closer to the end it is rather dim and waste of time or something I was not expecting.
    The Girl With the Pearl Earring was one for me.
    It promised suspense but the ending just dragged and the ending was literally flat.

2. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Havah by Tosca Lee.

It was so poorly written. The innocence portrayed in the garden was simply idiotic. They went from "he lay with me" to post garden descriptions of secuality. As if sex was nothing more than laying side by side in a dream like trance of nothingness. I forced myself to finish reading it simply because I have to finish a book I start. It did develop and the end was much better than the beginning, as if she developed as a writer as she progressed, but if I were a publisher I would have never taken on this book for the first half alone.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I have not heard of the book but do you mean to say that innocence was being portrayed as a sex act?

4. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Sexuality. Goodness typo.

But no. Havah heralds the tale of Eve, from garden to death almost a millenia later. All of the scenes within the garden of Eden were almost in a pot induced haze. The author tried to convey that they were sexual beings even in the garden but it had an air of innocence and literally, the sex was "he lay with me". There was no description, no emotions put into the event. Nothing. It was a hazed vision that made no sense.

5. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Coma by Robin Cook.

It's been some years now, so I can't really remember the reason, but I had to stop midway. However, if you're interested in how a hospital works, medicine in general, they've told me it's one of the best around; I wasn't, though.

6. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

Forever Odd by Dean Koontz. I just couldn't do it. After several chapters in a row of the main character internalizing while hiding from the bad guys I got tired of nothing happening and picked up another book.

7. jc.

jc. Member

I was really let down by Martin's A Dance With Dragons because up until that point I really liked the series. I couldn't finish this book because I got bored of *nothing* happening. I don't even think I got past the fifth chapter and from the mixed reviews I've been reading, it doesn't look like this particular book pleased too many people anyway.

8. Cacian

Cacian Banned

never heard of it.
    I understood Coma as in Comma hehe.

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what do you mean by internalizing? do you mean self criticising/talking tohimself?
    one of the reasons I don't like series, because it is nevre the same again and one is never able to maintain the thrill for the reasons that there is always going to be a favourite and a least favourite and so on.

10. Protar

Protar Active Member

I felt it was quite good actually. I got a bit frustrated with the slow pace but I loved the fantasy feel it had over the other books. And from the sample chapters posted the next book is going to be much faster. A Song Of Ice And Fire is my favourite series. It's so brutal.

11. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I have to agree with JC. Very little did happen in A Dance with Dragons, considering the novel's size. More POV characters were added and other characters had their fates left at a cliffhangar. Again. Really, I'm beginning to wonder how the world inside that universe hasn't destroyed itself between the decade long winters and childish nobles. Just take the dragons, reduce everything to ash, and set Danny as the new ruler. :)

12. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

Yes. Exactly this. The character spends several chapters straight, in his head, antagonizing about how to get out of his situation. If the book were a character study or if Dean Koontz were great at that kind of writing, it might have been enjoyable to me. But the book was ostensibly a novel of suspense. And the internalizing got very repetitive fast. So it felt out of place to me.

13. Jetshroom

Jetshroom Active Member

I read Blue Mars and was astounded at how anticlimactic it was.
    In Red Mars and Green Mars (The two books preceeding it) the author built up conflict, and built and built and then it exploded and everything went to shit. It was fantastic. I was hooked.
    In Blue, there's build up, build up, build up, OH, No, nothing's happening. Then Build up, build up, build up, OH No, nothing's happening.

This is a trillogy of books about the same group of people. They're living extremely long lives because of Science, and then they start dying. To start killing them off, he introduces a completely new character half way through the final book. When this character died, I didn't care at all. There was no connection to them. If he'd used one of the characters from the start, would have been different. Pretty much any of them would have been excellent. But no.

Anyway, rant over. I was disappointed.

14. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Anything I've read by Neil Gaiman. I tried to like him, I really tried but every time I've read one of his novels I kept fighting to want to stop reading. Not for me. I'll admit he's a good writer, and that I can see why people would like him. I just don't.